What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Det Tin - Good Home found.

Millsman

Premium Member
Yes and it's mine! I got this today. Apparently it had been sitting in a charity shop for a while but was too high a price for their customer's, but a friend picked it up for me and I gave him a drink on top.

Completely original paintwork, stencilling and two stickers (you can just see the overlap) and a light varnish over all.

John

Attachments

• SSCN4050.JPG
    SSCN4050.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 60
Mills detonator tin

Very interesting John. I have seen another Mills detonator tin for sale here in the US. The tin is round and reportedly from WW1, comes with 1 detonator but the price is too steep for me at 160.00 US..Dano

Hi Dano

Det tins always seem to be expensive. After waiting to buy one for about 5 years (when I couldn't find one) I was offered two, one with 12 dummy dets in it. I sold the second one for 100. The WW1 type are hard to get. They have a fibreboard like filling which is drilled to fit the dets. This is normally missing. One went on ebay for over 80 the other week. There are two main types for WW2 the round type like in WW1 but in later types the matrix to hold the dets is a two layer metal one. The type as I bought today had the Fibreboard filler I think, though I've not seen one in the flesh.

John

Hi john,
a really nice tin, am envious as i havnt got a decent one.
Here is a piccy of my tin which came out ot the box i have from the Somme, bit of a mess really but at least i know its provenance.

Andy

Attachments

• WW1 det tin.jpg
    WW1 det tin.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 31
Nice tin. Mills det tins are hard to find over here also. This WW2 NZ one cost me ~ $140US

Attachments

• 1 No 36 det tin closed.jpg
    1 No 36 det tin closed.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 28
Mills detonator tin

Hi guys, Here is a picture of the WW1 version for sale at Great War Militaria here in the U.S. The price is 149.50us. Apologize for the poor pic. but computer would not allow me to make a copy of it so I had to photograph my monitor. Also had to take picture from an angle to cut out the glare. If you look close you can see the firbeboard filling......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 476.jpg
    Picture 476.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 23
Hi john,
a really nice tin, am envious as i havnt got a decent one.
Here is a piccy of my tin which came out ot the box i have from the Somme, bit of a mess really but at least i know its provenance.

Andy

Andy

Your tin may be in a state but many of us would love to own it too. As you say, you know the provenance, it had been there and done it. Lovely!

John

Thanks for the photo Dano. My tin has the same corrugated card in the base as your has in the lid.

John

The only one like this I'd seen before is on Dave Sampson's website and mine is better, so I'm very happy with it. It still has the fine corrugated cardboard that fitted in the lid, but no other inners.

John