What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills grenade base plug thread.

Does anyone know what finish the levers were?, painted a specific colour or shellac coated or other ?

I've not (from memory) seen a specification about coating or painting levers. I have seen some WW2 grenades where the green strip around the body has included the lever, but they are exceptions and I'm not sure if they are authentic.

I’ve managed to get a 1.1/4 - 20 UNS HSS GRD TAP that I’ve tried and fits. But still need to know about the lever finish ?

Does anyone know what finish the levers were?, painted a specific colour or shellac coated or other ?

Levers of all the Mills type grenades were specified as being "rust proofed by the Fermangan process" so would be a charcoal grey colour, almost black. The spec for the No.36 allowed for the lever to be lacquered or coslettised as alternative treatments. Coslettising tended to give a lighter grey finish than Fermangan.

The pink or green band indicating the type of filling went over the lever.

Levers of all the Mills type grenades were specified as being "rust proofed by the Fermangan process" so would be a charcoal grey colour, almost black. The spec for the No.36 allowed for the lever to be lacquered or coslettised as alternative treatments. Coslettising tended to give a lighter grey finish than Fermangan.

The pink or green band indicating the type of filling went over the lever.

Yes, that's in the L series instructions from the No 23 onwards. I've seen painting over the levers in WW2 grenades, but not in WW1. Is there a source for that?

I remembered that in my spares box I had these levers.

They are 12 levers from the same box that spent the years 1940 to 2010 (when EOD removed them) in the cellar of a house in Kent. So they had no weather exposure. They have all gained some patina over the years but on some you can still see the traces of green paint around the maker's name. The paint looks to be lower than the paint band than on a normal WW2 grenade.

Mills levers 1940.jpg

I can remember finding piles of Canadian Chatco levers all mint in a grenade throwing pit in the early 1970s they were parked phophated or fermagans finish.

Ok thanks, this is my project so far after tapping the threads and adding some aged paint over shellac :

Attachments

• A898E41A-928B-474C-A933-29EF7E0E016C.jpg
    A898E41A-928B-474C-A933-29EF7E0E016C.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: