What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Grenade - Removal od Center Cylinder

commachio

Premium Member
Hi,

Anyone got any tool tips or suggestions on removing the center cylinder from a mills grenade (MK36 if that helps but all are pretty much the same).

Its in pretty poor shape and want to remove it to fit another one but would rather remove it in as a complete item rather than having to revert to breaking it.

many thanks

Hi bud,

look under the thread on 'Latest purchase of Mills' by Darren under the gren section and you will see some pics of some of my home made tools. You will need something similar to do the job properly.

Andy

I have a tool for removing the centre tube, however, I have found that sometimes, the only way to remove them is to break them out, not a massive job with the zinc ones, but the brass ones are a right pain.

Hi again,

with the right tool, penetrating oil, heat and cold[ice cubes] they nearly all come out, even brass if you are careful. Just need to be thoughtful as to what you do. Brute force will often damage the tube. I have never had to smash the gren to get a tube out although the tube has collapsed on removal due to being very corroded. Heating and cooling does the job the best i have found but a week or so in WD 40 has also worked wonders. My advice is dont rush at it unless the original tube is truly 'knackered'.

Andy

Centre tube tool.

Hello commachio,
I had the same problem some time ago so made this simple tool on my lathe. If more leverage is required just drill a hole through the base of the tool and insert a tommy bar. Tool is also useful for re-cocking the striker.
Hope this is of some use?
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• 36 tool gren 2a.jpg
    36 tool gren 2a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 36 Centre tube 13.jpg
    36 Centre tube 13.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29