What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills No 36 identification

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hello all,

I have to identify the marking of a Mills No36 grenade plug (see picture).
I can give the signification of some markings but not all, therefor I need your help.

N36M MkI : model of the grenade

Z : ???

WDC : ???

JP&S : manufacturor (Josiah Parkes & Sons, Willenhall, Staffordshire)

8 : ???

Yoda

Attachments

• P1020576bis.JPG
    P1020576bis.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 22
Yoda,

The Wolverhampton Die Casting Co. Ltd produced mazak base plugs for a number of the grenade manufacturers, including both Josiah Parkes & Sons, Willenhall, and John Pilling and Sons, Colne.

Recent information suggests that WDC cast the base plugs with the same JP&S mark for both Parkes and Pilling - the numeral most likely refers to a particular batch or contract, probably by month - yours being August 1943.

The attached suggests February 1944 and December 1940.

Tom.

Attachments

• JP&S base plugs.JPG
    JP&S base plugs.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
...Recent information suggests that WDC cast the base plugs with the same JP&S mark for both Parkes and Pilling - the numeral most likely refers to a particular batch or contract, probably by month - yours being August 1943. ...Tom.

Tom,

Pilling's contention that it does not make production engineering sense to stamp each base plug with contractors initials etc., at assembly time is a sound one but clearly, on examination of some plugs, stamping after diecasting happened either at the diecasting plant or in the assembly factory. I suppose it is fair to assume that diecast baseplugs made on Ministry contracts (e.g English Electric) would have been supplied to grenade manufacturers plain for subsequent marking in the assembly process; and contracts placed on diecasters by grenade manufacturers would have likely specified the inclusion of the grenade manufacturers monogram and a month numeral in the die.

Norman,

Agreed, Pilling's comments made sense, but it wasn't always the case. Both REVO and Davis & Brocklesby (VADIS) often had their initials stamped post-production on the base plug. Where it was carried out is open to question. On the other hand, as you say, contracts placed on the die casters direct from the grenade firms often did include the latter's monograms. One of the most obvious is Thomas Adshead & Sons on plugs made by Alloy Pressure Die Products Ltd - I take the liberty of adding an image from your hoard.

Tom.

Attachments

• TA&S base plug.jpg
    TA&S base plug.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 24