What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills No.36 Mk1 Circa 1918

inertordnance

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Attached are some photos of a No.36 Mk1 with a 7 - 18 Dated base plug that I picked up today.

Can anyone advise the significance of the Gray and Yellow Colored Bands on the body?

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• `No.36 Mk1 001.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
  • `No.36 Mk1 002.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 002.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 32
  • `No.36 Mk1 004.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 004.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 32
  • `No.36 Mk1 006.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 006.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 37
  • `No.36 Mk1 008.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 008.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • `No.36 Mk1 009.jpg
    `No.36 Mk1 009.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 33
Hello Frank,
at some point early on in its life it was a Belgium practice grenade, probulary between the wars, thats what the gray and yellow means, most of that type i have and seen are WW1 Grenades, if i was you i would get a brass filler screw for it as the WW2 filler does not match with the rest of the grenade,,,,,,,,, Dave

Just out of curiosity when did Kenrick start making grenades? With this one, what's to say the main body isn't from WW2?

Nice grenade BTW.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

The only thing that I can add on this example is that there are traces of the yellow body paint also on the exterior of the base plug, so they were together when the yellow band was applied (Whatever Era / Time Frame that was).

Thanks and Stay Safe,

Frank

Just out of curiosity when did Kenrick start making grenades? With this one, what's to say the main body isn't from WW2?

Nice grenade BTW.

Regards
Mike

Mike. Kenrick started in 1915 . There's no basic difference between the body castings of a WW1 No36 & a WW2 No36 . The filler screws & centre tubes are different as only WW2 grenades had zinc alloy parts . Mike