What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Plug

gothica7

Premium Member
Got this on feebay recently. It marked MT, which i believe is Multiple Tool Co Ltd and not a maker i have come across before.

However, its made of much thinner brass than most plugs i have seen before and in such good condition that i wonder if its a fake? There isnt any dents, damage or dings and the crows foot just dosnt seem right, a bit to small for one. Is the typeface correct for 1916?
Its well made, was a uniform dark colour all over before being polished.

I think its suspect but of course could be wrong. If it is a repro, someone has gone to a lot of trouble, especially in the knurled edge.

Any of the Mills experts an idea?

Andy

Attachments

• Mills plug.jpg
    Mills plug.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Mills plug 2.jpg
    Mills plug 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 43
Andy, whilst i'm no expert by any means in my collecting years I have handled hundreds of Mills base plugs and in all honesty this one seems suspect. I may well be wrong as the variants run far and wide. It's just "too nice". But yeah, like you said Andy with the knurling and all that would be a lot of trouble to make a base plug?. But in the end, weighing all the evidence it is just too good to be good. Sorry mate. Dano

Last edited:
I reccon it is too Dano,

the crows foot shows up in the piccy as having been made of 2 stampings into the metal, should have been one piece. I dont mind it being a fake as its one for the collection and a reference for the future. They would have all be made to the same or agreed specifications too and this one is a bit different. Still, could be wrong.

Andy

Just had a beer with a mate of mine who is a farrier and he spotted its a fake straight away. Brass is what is called a 'dead' metal,in that it dosnt ring when dropped against more brass or another metal. This plug does so its either an alloy or what he thinks, plated.
So, its a copy, well, at least i have an example of a good forgery, let it self down from what it was made from.

Andy

It is indeed a fake. All the letters and digits used are of the wrong format.

Perhaps this should also be mentioned on the repro section of Mr. Lynn's
website as a warning to potential buyers: http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/repro/repro.htm

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan,

i assume you mean the typeface is wrong as the actual style is similar to many plugs i have seen[many 100s].
Ive told the vendor, he has offered a full refund but i may keep it as an example.
I also have a few of the aluminium copies, which in my mind, are much better than this one.
My mate, the farrier, actually told me that they are not too difficult to make and he may have a go himself, he has all the tools and the ability. If he does, ile post the results.

Andy

Andy, yes I meant the typeface. Could not find the right word for it.
Very much like to see the end result of the 'home made' copy, specially
with regard to the knurling pattern.

Regards, Jan

I've got one of these and it fooled me. I'm not sure about the brass though as I've got a couple of other brass plugs that 'ring' and in wartime I'd expect makers to dilute the brass mix, expecially for a use once product. I seen a couple of plugs that have copperish sheen to the brass but they are genuine plugs. I'll add it to my set of fakes. Has anyone got a photo of the real thing?????

Thanks for the alert though Andy.

John