What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills section box - making a replica help needed

Edwardc

Okay,

I have no idea where to start, i have photos of an original and am wondering abhout trying to make a replica box like this original one
Mills%20Box%20Section1.JPG

anyone got any ideas of a suitable sized box? I wonder if any cartdige boxes might fit the bill

and can anyone that owns one please measure it for me?

thanks

ed

I don't relly know as I have never attempted to make a box, but a gret idea. I reckon you could get away with using hard board, then staining the smooth side. Just have to try and fing the edge bits by the looks of it. I know there are a few of these in members collections on here, so someone should be able to help out with the correct measurements.

Hi Edwardc,
The corners will be the difficult bit so you either wait till you find some suitable corner pieces or use a different method of construction. You could re-enforce the corners with gummed tape instead so it would still look period. When you have worked out the developed box you can print the text "Mills Grenade in section" etc on a piece of brown paper and glue it onto a thick piece of card with Pritt stick (other brands are available). When the adhesive has dried pre form the folds and assemble the box. The folds need pre creasing otherwise the card will crack on the outer edge of the fold. It sounds pretty straight forward as long as you remember the lid is larger than the base!
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi Edwardc,
The corners will be the difficult bit so you either wait till you find some suitable corner pieces or use a different method of construction. You could re-enforce the corners with gummed tape instead so it would still look period. When you have worked out the developed box you can print the text "Mills Grenade in section" etc on a piece of brown paper and glue it onto a thick piece of card with Pritt stick (other brands are available). When the adhesive has dried pre form the folds and assemble the box. The folds need pre creasing otherwise the card will crack on the outer edge of the fold. It sounds pretty straight forward as long as you remember the lid is larger than the base!
Cheers
Hangarman

Good ideas. You could also make a stencil from card and spray black lettering.

Hi Ed,Just a few ideas,It may be worth checking art shops for the card,I guess it is about 3mm thick,to form it make a box of wood that is about 1mm larger than the lid of the box,then make a block that will fit inside the box leaving a gap all sides of about 3mm,(very slightly radious the corners)cut the card into a cross shape to the same size as if you had flattened out the lid,steam the card where you are going to fold it,place the card over the wood box then push in the block,this should shape the card without tearing the corners,if you can find an old tea chest the corners are sometimes reinforced with strips of metal similar to the ones one the grenade box,they are a difficult to remove from the teachest but I am sure you would be able to reuse some of them,(cut to a suitable lenghth)or another idea is belt joiners for the old type of flat canvas drive belt(traction engine stuff),it is made of flat metal pressed to shape with teeth down each edge as with those on the grenade box,you should get them (by the bucket full)from a vintage tractor event,
Hope these ideas are of use,Regards,Don,