What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine warning sign

BMG50

Premium Member
After studying various WW2 German mine warning signs i found that most have two blobs of paint marked on eack sign together may be indicating the type of mine etc. See attched picture marke by the two red arrows. Anyone know what these colours are and what they mean.lebensgefahr1.jpg

Not sure about these special markings; certainly there were many additional and local different signs & marks to prevent accidents or enable proper clearance.
Under normal circumstances, every layed minefield had to be documented accurately and a copy send to a central archive of mine plans, located at Dessau-Rosslau/Saxony.

But there is another information to note on this picture.

lebensgefahr1.jpg

According to H.Dv.220/4c, the barbewired post indicates ap-mines.

008a.jpg

I did read that white and red were used to indicated a friendly side and a Danger side, looking at the photos i see two colour types one that most probaly is red, not sure what the other is, may be this is a late war way of marking mine fields, the photo's were taken in Holland.