What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini knee mortar???

Lou

No kidding,thats what the guy who sold it to me said it might be.
Ok,I know its not,and I know air and ground signals.My hope is to find out the who/what/when and where of the launcher??? Its blued steel,12 inches long with a bore of 1 5/8 inches "37mm??" No ord markings what so ever on the launcher.It also shows signs that the signal cartridge and launcher have been together for a long time.
Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Attachments

• flare gun 005.jpg
    flare gun 005.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 71
  • flare gun 015.jpg
    flare gun 015.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 68
  • flare gun 014.jpg
    flare gun 014.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 51
  • flare gun 009.jpg
    flare gun 009.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 50
  • flare gun 010.jpg
    flare gun 010.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 40
It's a US "GROUND SIGNAL PROJECTOR M4"

In use since the '40's I have it in TM 9-290 dated Jan. 18, 1943

The flare is a common 37mm flare that can be fired in a M-8 flare pistol as well.

just my 2 cents.

It's a US "GROUND SIGNAL PROJECTOR M4"

In use since the '40's I have it in TM 9-290 dated Jan. 18, 1943

The flare is a common 37mm flare that can be fired in a M-8 flare pistol as well.

just my 2 cents.
Awesome,thank you very much.So is it specifically for ground use then? Issued to all or just signal corps guys?

I would hazzard a guess and say it was issued mainly to ground forces probably around airfields etc... and maybe for HQ's to signal or send up para flares.

There is one used in the film Objective Burma staring Errol Flynn near the end when they were on top of the hill.

There is one used in the film Objective Burma staring Errol Flynn near the end when they were on top of the hill.
Well I'll be danged.After watching the movie,sure enough theres Mr Flynn popping up a star.He did it a little different,it really cant be used as a mortar,dropping the shell into the tube I must say,but hey,with all the other wooden tnt blocks,guns and such,its really not a bad propaganda film.Hadnt seen it since I was a kid.Thanks guys