What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini Millls - Does one still exist?

Millsman

Premium Member
I've seen the inventory of the Royal Engineers Museum from 1919 that lists two 'Mini-Mills' grenades as part of the post war stock. I know that these were stolen form the museum in the 1970's or 1980's but wondered if there were any other examples still in existence. I've always assumed the stolen Mini Mills to be the only ones, but who knows? Are there any photos?

John

Baby Mills

I've seen the inventory of the Royal Engineers Museum from 1919 that lists two 'Mini-Mills' grenades as part of the post war stock. I know that these were stolen form the museum in the 1970's or 1980's but wondered if there were any other examples still in existence. I've always assumed the stolen Mini Mills to be the only ones, but who knows? Are there any photos?

John

Herewith a photo that I took in the late 70's/early 80s showing the Mini Mills on the left. Embarrassingly the thought of adding a ruler seemed to escape me. These grenades were from the Experimental Section in France and were donated to the Museum by Major Bellamy in June 1919. Some of the grenades on Bellamy's list had been removed by Ordnance for disposal many years before the theft.

In regard to the theft the feeling was that the grenades (and Fuzeman's Butterfly bomb) were 'stolen to order'.

Attachments

• Mills-BabyEdited.JPG
    Mills-BabyEdited.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Thanks very much Norman. I'm glad you recorded it for posterity. Maybe one day they will turn up, and Steve can get his butterfly back as well. It's terrible the lengths some collectors will go to, be it for Militaria or art.

John

I've also thought the use of the word mini, as far back as WW1 was interesting. It obviously wasn't invented with the car!

John

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if anyone out there has there eye on your collection as well !:tinysmile_cry_t3:
I will be adding 3 more dobermanns to the garden tonight.
Paul.

In my case the wife just has to look out the window. The ultimate deterrant. Who needs Trident?

John