What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-Smoke grenades...

V40

What these are experimental "Mini-Smoke Grenades", numbered XM 166 thru XM 169. These came in Red, White, Green, and Yellow. They were used exstensively used by Special Forces in Vietnam. They put out a degree of smoke that was just enough to signal low flying aircraft or helicopters for survival purposes.

In the picture, starting with the left one is the XM 169, yellow Mini-smoke grenade It has been opened to show you the componets of the Minii-smoke. At the bottom on the far left is a thick cardbord ring with a match coating on the on 1/2 of the outside. Above that is the cap with a large rubber seal that fits the entire inner surface to protect the mini-smoke from absorbing moisture. The next photo is the mini smoke opened showing the fuse a, "C Clip and how much the smoke contents were, which fills about 3/4s of the grenade. These reproduction Mini-smokes all have one fault. On the the end of the fuse there is suppose to be a "blob" of match ignition which is how one ignites the mini-smoke grenade with the ring..

I do not want to recieve any "reproductions". I have enough as those. I have one live, one in yellow and you can just barely tell the difference. All I need are a red, white, green versions.

What I'd like to do is some horse tradin for these. If anybdoy has any modern grenades I might be very interested. Sorry for the poor pictures. If you need better shots then let me know.

V40

Last edited: