What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miniature Shell

FNG61

Dont know exactly how to describe this. Salesman`s sample or patent model maybe. It is a scale model of a large calibre shell. Construction of the box and other details indicate a circa 1900 manufacturing date. The box is 3 x 4.5 x 10.5. and the shell is 2 x 8.75. Not a marking to be found. The driving band is pressed into a groove. The shell is hollow. Seems to be too accurate and difficult a representation of the subject to be a mere machinist`s pastime. I have no history on this item and would like to know more about it.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 50
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ss5.jpg
    ss5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 74
Sorry I can't tell you more about it as I do not know but it is a very nice item. Can't be too many of those around.

Darren

It looks like some kind of calibration tool to me.

Last edited:
Very nice and I believe it's a salesmans sample. I have seen one very similar before in it's box. I have a couple of smaller ones and know of others, some marked and some not. With that heavy driving band it would likely be for a large shell, possibly naval. Catches on the box look British.

D

A very nice item.
I would agree with the others- a salesman example - and what beautiful work. I particularily like the little tool for dis-assembling it, nice too to have it together with the original box.

Can anyone identify the shell - large calibre I should think???

thanks for showing

regards Kev