What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missile experts: need help identifying warhead

MissingLink

Premium Member
I picked this up a while back at a machine shop; they were getting rid of several of these as scrap (I can't remember what made them scrap though; they appeared perfect at the time). I'm pretty sure it goes onto one of Raytheon's offerings, but I have no idea which one. It was machined from billet aluminum and then painted/anodized. It's roughly 10.125" OAL and 5.855" in diameter. I was told that it was a "ballast ogive for training," but who knows if that's what it really is. It has two tapped holes in each side of the nose, near the tip. It also has 6 tapped holes along the circumference of the base. It's hollow to a degree, as well. Here's a few pics (first pic next to a 30x173 for reference):

IMG_20141223_164732778.jpgIMG_20141223_164744753.jpgIMG_20141223_164803147.jpgIMG_20141223_164821340_HDR.jpg

-WRM

Could be Shillelagh or Copperhead, but I don't have my pubs handy. Cheers, Bruce.

home_page_shillelagh_02.jpg

As Mr. BA says, the Shillalegh, most likely..

Here's a Copperhead, for comparison.
home_page_copperhead_01.jpg

Last edited:
The profile on the Shillalegh looks very similar, but depending on which image I look at on the web, the OAL appears to be longer on my example (unless what I see in the image below is simply a tangent line and not a seam). Unless, my warhead is longer to account for ballast?

-WRM

shillalegh.gif

Last edited:
Yea. TOW. Diameter is close to the same as your piece: Diameter: 5.87 inches (14.91 cm)
Nice find, whatever it is.