What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MK 106 Prac bomb? Or not? Urgent Help Please..

MagicEOD

Hello. Please could someone help me identify this correctly. I have been searching for over a week and have a dealine to meet for a UXO course.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

The best guess I have is a MK 106 US Practice bomb. However, the 106 has a single retractable lug, where this has two welded lugs. Also the petruding cylinder at the nose (which could be a spotting charge?) is a lot longer than pics I can find of the 106 Prac.

The measurements are 100mm diameter, and 525mm (ish) long.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am running out of ideas. Thank you

Airfield denial bombs?

This is not going to be of much help to you but I do recall seeing many of these littered on ranges that were used for ( I think) MRCA airfeild denial tests around the mid to late 80's
The orange ones were all inerts as some poor sods had to collect them by the lorry load.

It is only recently that I have seen them again, this one at Beltring last year.

Attachments

• Jet dropping.JPG
    Jet dropping.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 38
Here are a couple of for sure 106s. Lots of similarities to your example. Maybe somebody's variation on the theme. Mine are missing the circular strike plate on the nose and are void of any lugs.

Attachments

• IMG_0301_edited-1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0301_edited-1 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0296_edited-1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0296_edited-1 (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 16
Possible RDAF Prac Bomb M72, the tail is different now but the cartridge neck seems too long to be a 106. Wish I had this much hekp when doing my courses... But, It made me a better man.

Attachments

• M72 PRACTICE.jpg
    M72 PRACTICE.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas.

Correct me if im wrong but on the on both the M72 and the danish prac bomb the tail fins are a lot larger diameter than the main body? On mine it is almost the same (less than 10mm difference). The tail section on both is also a lot longer than this one.

I agree it is going to be some variation, would just really like to be able to confidently say it is a ............ when I have to give a presentation on it.

Any more ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

Painted for recovery.

All the orange painted ones were high visibility so they could be recovered and all were a painted "Practice" version as far as I know.

Item in Picture is a typical COLD cart. The bomb is a BDU 33

(For Person in PM Discussion)

Attachments

• DSC02527.jpg
    DSC02527.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02528.jpg
    DSC02528.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02530.jpg
    DSC02530.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 43
Practice bomb

Hi Magiceod,

what you have there is a modified (suspension lugs? Never seen !) BDU 48 B, a variant of Mk 106.
If you can have access, look on US TM Nr B-2-2-11-3 U.S. BOMBS, PRACTICE, 5-LB, MK 106 MOD 0 (OBSOLETE), MOD 1, MOD 2 (OBSOLETE),

Not a BDU-48 or M72, just a MK-106 with a broke off disc. The ring are definately no suspension lugs, too weak to stay under the bomb rack in flight!
Most likely the bomb is used as a hang out sign or so. Hung up with a chain attached thru the `lugs`.
I think it`s even over painted as well.

Cheers, Cornman

Not a BDU-48 or M72, just a MK-106 with a broke off disc. The ring are definately no suspension lugs, too weak to stay under the bomb rack in flight!
Most likely the bomb is used as a hang out sign or so. Hung up with a chain attached thru the `lugs`.
I think it`s even over painted as well.

Cheers, Cornman

Yep, if the inner tube has been pulled forward then good ID

Toyoda

The retractable suspension lug on the 105 is no stronger than these lugs? There is no slit for the retractable lug on the 105, and the neck is 3 times as long, so how can it be a 105 with broke off disc?

Practice Bomb

I have been surfing the web, but have not had much luck getting a positive ID. The french have two practices bombs that are similar:
Bomb Practice Type 2A, Dia 99mm, Length 574mm
Bomb Practice Type 6, Dia 99mm, Length 565mm

The French have some bombs that use two suspension lugs, but all the models of bombs that I found with two lugs, the lugs are much farther apart than on your bomb.

The U.S. Bomb 5lb Practice Mk 106 Mod 1 has a dia of 99mm and length of 490mm, while the Mod 5 has a dia of 99mm and a width of 546mm so there seems to some variation in models. I did find a photo of a Mk 106 where the neck is as long as the one you have.

In one photo there seems to be spots of red paint on the body and yellow on the neck? Was the bomb actually painted these colours? I will be back to work today, so I will try to do some more digging.

Attachments

• French Bomb Practice Samp Type 6.JPG
    French Bomb Practice Samp Type 6.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Mk 106 Mod 0.jpg
    Mk 106 Mod 0.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 26
The retractable suspension lug on the 105 is no stronger than these lugs? There is no slit for the retractable lug on the 105, and the neck is 3 times as long, so how can it be a 105 with broke off disc?

105??, I think you mean 106. The Mk-106 doesnt use a retractable lug, but a srew in type. When dropped from a SUU-20 ( or a German bomb rack) the lug isn`t used, but the bomb is held by `claws`.

Cornman