What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model 1917 German rifle grenade practice

This is just something I was just wondering about. Does anyone know why the practice m1917 German rifle grenade has a more rounded base than the regular model? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 376.jpg
    Picture 376.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 46
Hey Dano,
No knowledge here, just a guess, could it be so the two could not be confussed? I can see where using a live grenade could be bad in practice, beu even worse if a dummy was used in combat, Usually grenades are drilled or painted, but both of these methods would not be as practical with a grenade that needed to be launched from a cup, burning off the red paint, and holes would change the flight behavior.
Wild guesses here, but as no one else has ventured a reason, I figured even if I am wrong, it might start a discussion.
Best wihses
Gus

Sounds good as anything I can come up with Gus. Just a bit curious because the practice '17 rifle grenade I did have was painted black and 99.9% sure paint was original...Dano

Heres my live and practice grens. I can assume the more rounded base was for ease of identification.
Paul.

Attachments

• ink pot grens.jpg
    ink pot grens.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 32
contrast

Interestingly enough Paul your practice unit is painted red and the paint is obviously original to the grenade. The one I did have was black and would swear that paint was original, but who knows as there are some clever painters out there? Thanks for showing comparison photo...Best of holidays..Dano