What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model 1917 Stick Grenade info required

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Gents,

I'm looking for a line drawing and information on the known filler of the German Model 1917 stick grenade. Yes, I already used the search function and did not find the info.

Anyone have it handy?

Also, if anyone has the same info on the disc grenade, I'm looking for that too. Although on that one I don't need the filler as much as I need info on the detonators used with it.

Hi eodtec, the only drawing I have does not show the internals so I figure useless to you. First ammonium nitrate was used and was then replaced by pure Tolite. The Tolite was more powerful so the m1917 stick head could be made smaller than previous canisters. With the large demand the larger canisters continued to be used but a wood spacer was placed in the large canister to standardize the charge...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 402.jpg
    Picture 402.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 403.jpg
    Picture 403.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 29
Hey EODtecHere are links to Paul's sectioned discus grenades, they show rather well the interlan workings of the grenadehttp://www.paul-spence1964.com/SectionedDiscus1.htmlhttp://www.paul-spence1964.com/SectionedDiscusArmed.htmlBest wishesGus

Hi Eodtek, hope these are legible...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 404.jpg
    Picture 404.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 405.jpg
    Picture 405.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 19
Drawing here. About the explosive filler, most used is so called "Perdit"-explosive. It consists of: 50-70% ammonium nitrate; 15-25% mono-, di- and small amounts of trinitrotoluene; 5-10% sawdust.
In particular: 72% ammonium nitrate; 10% potassium perchlorate; 15% mixture of di- and trinitrotoluene; 3% sawdust.

Attachments

• 167+.jpg
    167+.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Yep, they mostly used Perdit, which is very toxic too. It usually smells like bitter almond due the nitrobenzene etc.

With the separate oxidizers- the slower reaction rate of the explosion would be far better to cause concussion damage in a confined space, when compared to a single explosive chemical.
Note that most "high blast" explosives contain aluminum, and some of the more modern ones contain a perchlorate salt of some form.
For a "stormtrooper" tactic raid against personel in a bunker, the weaker looking mixtures would, in fact, be much more effective.

Thanks everyone that will all help.

Does anyone have any idea on the composition of the detonators in the discus grenade?