What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Arrivals - Mills and L111

commachio

Premium Member
Over the past week I have had a few more arrivals (on my gallery as well). This included a 1916 No5 MK1 found in DelVille woods, Somme during an excavation. This was apparently still in a wooden crate along with five others. The original owner has done an exception job in restoring. The pitting etc I think adds to its prodidence. All parts are original except the pin.

Also another No5/23 MK1 but from Verdun, Somme of an unknown find date. This was in terrible condition when recieved but is going through a restoration at present (before and after shots in single photo). Only body and base plate are original and sourcing more parts as we speak.

Lastly was a British L111 Practice Grenade. Comes with a fuze that, once the grenade is airborne, emits a loud bang or alot of smoke. Nice to have in the collection. I also have a 'Mint' condition one but this is currently 'lost' in the post!!!!

Attachments

• No5_all_original.jpg
    No5_all_original.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 43
  • No23_Cleaning.jpg
    No23_Cleaning.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • L111.jpg
    L111.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 37
Hi bud,

really nice grens but the No 5 has a 23 type lever. Did it all come together with the base plug? I had a boxfull from the Somme, all had flat levers, all sold but i have kept the box.
Nice grens though, well done.

Andy

Hi Andy....many thanks. The Gren came exactly as purchased. I'm relatively new to all this but from what I can gather this was exactly as found (except the pin). It does seem strange now that you mention it that the levers a MK23? Is there any chance its actually a MK23 Gren rather than a MK5 or possibly they put a MK23 lever on it? All open to debate I suppose.:smile:

Your guess is as good as anyones bud. Could be that the plug is wrong. What is the striker like? Does it have a slot? If so, its highly likely to be a No 23. However could be a very late No 5 but with that lever and a slotted striker, my bet would be a No 23. If only it could talk! Still a nice gren though.

Andy

Never really know with Mills bombs. They went through so many changes before the changes became 'official'. I'm with you though, more likely a no 23 with a no5 base plug screwed on

Nice grenades commachio, also very nice to know of the history and story behind them. That is the juice for me...Dano