What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More ID help needed with some cases

mdot633

I have what appears to be a Japanese 75x185 casing, but it has non-kanji/Japanese markings on it. Were these used by other countries?

IMG_1294.JPGv3.jpgIMG_1296.jpgIMG_1295.JPGv2.jpg
I also have what I think is a Russian 45x310 casing, but I don't know Russian markings to be able to tell the year of manufacture.
IMG_1340.jpgIMG_1341.jpgIMG_1339.jpg

Yes, you are right on two of your assumptions. Your 75x185R case is a Chinese copy of the Japanese 75x185R casing that was made for the Type 41 mountain gun. Your case was manufactured in 1951 (as are almost all of the post-WW2 Chinese specimens with this style headstamp). The part that looks somewhat like "41W" (where the 'W' is a Kanji), reads as "41 mountain"; surely an indication for the usage of the case for the Type 41 mountain gun. I have several other Chinese used (and restamped), but Japanese manufactured, 75x185R casings. It seems the Chinese fancied this calibre, and kept a good deal of Japanese equipment for it after world war 2.

As for your Russian casing: yes, it's Russian. I'm not an expert on Russian headstamps, but the part that looks like '39r.' is the year of manufacture; in this case it is 1939.

Cheers!
Olafo