What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More mills bombs

paul the grenade

It must be mills bomb weekend so heres a few pics of some i got a while ago but have not had time to photograph.
1st is a nice JPS mills with a Revo 8/40 base plate. the lever is marked DHS and the base plug is marked with a K and stars and dated 42
2nd is a nickel plated practice No36 by TA&S dated 8/18 and fitted with the trial Prost saftey pin. (thanks Tom!)
Last is a very nice Battye gren with an unusual wood plug with upright shields to protect the fuze (i think!) any info on ths variant would be appreciated.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• JPS MILLS 1.jpg
    JPS MILLS 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
  • JPS MILLS 2.jpg
    JPS MILLS 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 46
  • JPS MILLS 3.jpg
    JPS MILLS 3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 44
  • NICKEL 36 1.jpg
    NICKEL 36 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 56
  • NICKEL 36 2.jpg
    NICKEL 36 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 55
  • NICKEL 36 3.jpg
    NICKEL 36 3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 49
  • BATTYE 1.jpg
    BATTYE 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 43
  • BATTYE 2.jpg
    BATTYE 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 38
The plated Mills Paul, i was told that after WW1 a enterprising Belgium collected all the mills he could find, had them plated and sold them to the visitors of the Great War battle fields nearly all the examples i have see and all of my examples have the Prost safety pins.

Dave

Nice grens Paul.

My latest, a big thank you to Tom for it, is a drill No 5 in white in pretty good nick too. I have a couple of these rare grens now.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture 1404.jpg
    Picture 1404.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 1406.jpg
    Picture 1406.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
prost safety pin..jpghi. some really nice mills you have there guys .i have a ta&s 36 drill mills unplated which has the prost safety pin . .how did this pin come about?
cheers darrol

Pins and plating

The pin was invented and patented in 1917 in France by a Monsieur Prost, who tried to persuade the British authorities that it might benefit the Mills grenade. While it was adopted by the French for their grenades, 500 of the pins were distributed to the UK Bombing Schools for trial, after which it was rejected.

In a parallel development, Francis Gibbons (of the Gibbons spring mechanism training grenade fame) patented a very similar pin, patent GB111949A. Likewise it did not see use in service.

During 1916 and 1917, the British Government supplied the Belgian Army with Mills grenades as and when asked. However, in December 1917 this was formalised in a monthly demand for 20,000 No.23 MkII, and from mid-1918 No.23 MkIII. With the changeover from 23II to 23III, the Belgians asked for the grenades to be supplied with the new French safety pin.

In addition there had been at least one Belgian requirement for 8,000 dummy grenades for training from Britain in July 1917, and there may have been additional during 1918. The Gibbons company had supplied reject grenades, electro-zinced, as training dummies to the British Army from December 1916, and so it is reasonable that the Belgian Army were similarly supplied.

Therefore surviving examples of Mills with Prost type pins (assuming the pins are original to the grenades) could be from the small number trialled by the British Army; training dummies (some electro-plated) kitted out with Prost pins used by the Belgian Army (which would have replaced any ordinary pins with Prost after mid-1918); or from Belgian Army service grenades (definitely non-plated).

Without getting heavily involved in a discussion of electro-plating, dipping a steel or cast iron object in molten zinc for rust proofing (galvanizing) gives a matt grey surface, while true zinc electro-plating gives a shiny metallic finish, which can wear off with use. Both of these finishes are seen in surviving Mills examples. It is also possible that nickel may have been substituted for zinc in the electroplating process, depending on what chemicals the manufacturer easily had to hand.

Tom.

Last edited: