What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortar or Projectil Carry Tubes

take-down

I have carried these round for 40 years plus since a wee fallow but haven't been able to find out what they were actually for
They are 540mm or 21 1/4" long & 104mm or 4 1/8" Diameter
The writing on the caps in the photo reads
No6 I (on top line)
HS/M 1943 (on bottom line)
Any help would be great
Cheers
BOC001a.jpg

BOC002a.jpg

BOC003a.jpg

For the 4.2in Mortar ,2 of these double bomb carriers would be packed in steel box no C.235 .The official name for this carrier is "Carrier Ammunition S.B. M.L. 4.2-In. Mortar No6"

After all these years and so quick
"Thanks Spotter"
How many of these were packed in the steel case & what reference material could I get to show this
Mind you now you have given me another mission to find 2 x 4.2 rounds to fill it
Cheers

TWO of these carriers in case C.235 ,total 4 bombs per box ,total weight of filled box 127lbs ..source of info page 438 "weapons of the WW2 tommy" by David B Gordon,but i believe this book is now out of print,if i find anything else today ill add it for you

Thanks Spotter
What would the yellow paint be for, IDing the load?

Im not 100% certain if NZ used the same colour codes as we did over here in GB ,if they did the yellow band indicates PRACTICE on wartime rounds/pre 1964 colour codes

Spotter, I think the reference material you quoted might be in error. The C.235 was used for the 3.7" QF gun, are 46.6" x 12.4" x 6.4". Large box, seen some at work recently :)

According to my RAOS the 4.2" Mortar used the B.176 box (28" x 14" x 9.2") and held 2 rounds. Of course it might be a case of using the C.235 to carry more rounds than the B.176.

Hello Lcplcombat,Yes it mentions in the book that
"packaging for the 4.2 bombs came in several forms,2 fuzed bombs could be packed in wooden box B.176 along with two tail covers and a tin box N0378 that contained two primary and 12 augmenting cartridges
Alternatively four fuzed bombs with cartridges and augmenting cartridges already in place could be packed in steel box C.235.The box would contain two bomb carriers each made up of two rolled cardboard tubes"

These tube containers would be laid flat and nose to end each set of tubes measuring 21 1/4" X 2 = 42.5" and would fit into the same size box for the 3.7"