What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mortar or rifle greade

Picture 1 is of the French WW1 Guidetto mortar/rifle grenade. Is it a mortar or a rifle grenade? Picture 2 is more of the Guidetto mortar/rifle grenade shown with firing device. Picture 3 is of the basic French WWI pneumatic mortar projectile. Question is - Is the Guidetto a mortar or rifle grenade. Here is Wiki's defination of a mortar.

MORTAR - Muzzle loading indirect fire weapon that fires shells at low velocities, short ranges, and high arcing ballistic trajectories. It typically has a barrel length less than 15 times its caliber. Certainly fits this criteria!

I have long thought the guidetto to be a mortar projectile as the firing device comes no where close to a service rifle of the period. Thjere is no great controversy here, just more of a split opinion. Whatever the case the Guidetto is an extremely el-coolo piece of ordnance and in my opinion is definately i the mortar catagory. What do you think? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 695.jpg
    Picture 695.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 29
  • frenchmortar.jpg
    frenchmortar.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Though I would argue with Wiki's definition I would say definitely a mortar.

The third picture is a pneumatic mortar Brand, the shot was done by a compressed air discharge tube launcher.

French WW1 Guidetto mortar/rifle grenade. Is it a mortar or a rifle grenade?

Mortar. It can not be fired from a standard rifle with or without a cup
therefore it is not a rifle grenade. The but and trigger mechanism for the
guidetto was merely borrowed from a rifle because it was more convenient
at the time.

Regards, Jan

http://www.westernfront.nl