What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving abroad - Urgent advice needed need to store my collection

(I am not sure if this is the right place to post this)

Dear friends - I will be relocating from London to Singapore next month. I wont be able to take my small beloved collection with me (at least for a while). I contacted the Singapore Police and they say I would need to apply for a license if I want to take it with me. For now I will only take my books, helmets, water bottles, pictures, etc.
I need a place to store my small museum for, I guess, up to 2 years. One option is to get a small room in a storage facility but they dont like those things (why dont we collect stamps?). Another option is to find a fellow collector who could accommodate my stuff in a corner of his property, barn, warehouse...
What I have:
5 weapons (all bought from UK dealers like Ryton arms)
- Lee Enfield rifle, with certificate of deactivation
- PPSh41, with certificate of deactivation
- Bren gun, with certificate of deactivation
- Sten Mark 2 gun, with certificate of deactivation
- Maxim 1910, with certificate of deactivation

23 ww1 and ww2 shells, diferent calibers, all empty, all fuses empty and deactivated, all bought in several militaria fairs like war and peace

3 granades;2 ww1, just the carcass, empty no fuse and 1 ww2, mills, empty, deactivated

17 ww1 shells cases, diferent calibers, fired, empty, no primer, bought in several militaria fairs like war and peace

Do you have any advice for me? Anyone with some room to spare? I could even pay a small storage fee or leave you the lee enfield, the PPSh41 and Sten gun. I really dont care much about the guns..I love the shells and shell cases

Please let me know your advice

thanks!

pablo

I only know that Singapore has very strict laws with high sentences for small errors or offences. So i'd be carefull by importing any arms or ammo part into singapore. But now point two; you're gonna return to good old Brittain in a couple of years; ever imagind what unexpected problems may occur returning the stuff into the UK? I'd hire a storage in a storage centre in the UK for two years and put it in a safe and guarded place, either - as you say- with a fellow collector or family members. Moving the stuff to Singapore may as be expensive as hiring a storage in the UK. Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Hi Pablo,Have you thought of offering them on loan to a good (recognised,possibly military run)museum,that way they should be in good care and looked after ready for when you want them again,hope this helps,
Cheers,
Don,

Why would a storage facility have to know what you store in it? Your items are not illegal. Maybe it's different in the UK but in the US you rent the storage compartment and it's your business what you put in it. It's your lock on the door and only opened if you default on your monthly payments.