What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My current project

Ammo Rob

Ordnance approved
I am off to dinner then when I get back I will be post everything I know on the subjects

10ojz2v.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
amending post do to pic size

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Deletion of jumbo pic

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Top picture 3rd from left appears to be U.S. m1907 Scoville fuze fitted to mostly shrapnel shells of 3 inches and 75mm. Very bottom picture m1915 German WW1 offensive discus (discus, turtle, tick etc...) grenade. I guess you are trying to ID these??? Dano

Sorry for the size. I now know how to post them smaller now.

1. British or Canadian Naval 4 inch 35 pound Star Shell 1943

I am not yet sure about a lot of the stencilling though.

2. 81mm HE M43A1 easy enough

3. 1907 M fuse. Again some of the engraved letters have me stumped.
3-3-93-1
I.A&F.Co
Increments of 2 one hundredths of a second to just over 21 seconds.

4. A.P.C.B.C
6PR 7CWT which from my readings make it a 57mm anti-tank round

Further stencilling is XIT 8995 BS STC 98A 3144 of which I am at a loss.

5. Grenade, Smoke, WP, Hand No. 77 Mk 1 used by the UK and Canada.

6. German Grenade, Hand, Diskushandgranate (my favorite)

The stamp on the fuse and 6PR are unfortunately too small to take a pic of.

81mm M43A1

If I have something wrong please let me know.

Nomenclature/Model Number/Markings: Cartridge 81mm HE M43A1

Country Of Origin/Brief History: U.S.A.

Shell was designed to replace SHELL, H.E. M43 as the SHELL, H.E., M43
Used in WW2 up until the 1980’s

Main filling/Type of Fusing: Comp B used with a PD M525 or M717 Fuse

Markings/Colour Code: Olive Drab with Yellow Stenciling

Body Construction:

Total length: 13.32 in

Diameter: 81mm

Wall Thickness is:

Total weight is (X% main filling):
7.5 pounds
1.29 pounds for filling

Explain the composition of materials, what the body is made of, driving band(s) composition, fuze design:
Forged Steel

Purpose: Used against personnel and light material providing blast and frag

Functioning: When the cartridge is loaded, it slides down the mortar tube until the percussion primer in the ignition cartridge strikes the firing pin in the base cup of the mortar. The primer ignites the ignition cartridge, and the cartridge ignites the propellant charge. Rapidly expanding gases from the burning propellant expel the projectile from the tube and propels it to the target. The projectile is fin-stabilized in flight. The PD fuze functions on impact, detonating the fuze booster charge and in turn, the high explosive charge. The bursting charge shatters the projectile body, producing near optimum fragmentation and blast effect at the target.

Method of Disposal and environmental considerations:
Do not move

Disposal by detonation: Counter Charge Main Charge

References:
TM-43-0001-28 Chap 4 Pg 4-35
ORDATA II

Last edited:
M1907M Combination Fuze

Please point out any errors

Nomenclature/Model Number/Markings: M1907M Combination Fuze

Country Of Origin/Brief History
U.S.A.
Used on 75mm Shrapnel munitions
Used in WW1

Main filling/Type of Fusing
Percussion/Powder Train

Time element
Black Powder

Markings/Colour Code:
21.2 sec time ring
increments of 2 one hundredths of a sec

Body Construction
Total length: 2.57 inches
Diameter:

Explain the composition of materials, what the body is made of, driving band(s) composition, fuze design:
Brass

Purpose: Used to initiate 75mm Shrapnel munitions

Functioning:

Percussion Action:
The percussion action becomes armed shortly after firing, when centrifugal force causes the spring-restrained plunger pins to move forward and release the firing pin. Upon impact, the plunger is driven forward against the percussion primer, initiating the primer and; thereby the magazine charge unless functioning has been caused by the time action.

Time Action:
Upon firing, set-back forces the time-action plunger rearward through the split ring, bringing the time action primer against the firing pin. The flame from the primer passes through the hole in the body and ignites the powder pellet in the fixed upper time ring. The flame from this ring ignites the pellet in the lower ring unless the fuze is set to safe, in which event the time action becomes a dud at this point. When set for other then safe the time of burning in the upper ring before ignition of the powder pellet in the lower ring is determined by the time setting. In the case of zero setting, the flame from the pellet in the upper ring is transmitted directly to the pellet in the lower ring and body and, thereby, to the magazine charge. With this setting, the shrapnel functions within 50 to 75 feet of the muzzle of the gun, with an effect similar to that of canister. With time setting greater than zero, the pellet of the lower ring is so moved in relation to the pellet of the upper ring that the powder train of the upper ring must burn until the pellet in the lower ring is reached. The powder train of the lower ring, in turn, must burn until the flame reaches the pellet in the body. The body pellet then ignites the magazine charge, unless prior functioning had been caused by impact and action of the percussion assembly.

Method of Disposal and environmental considerations
Do not move
Disposal by detonation: quarter block charge near fuze.

References
TM 9-1904 page 392 and 393
TM-9-1901 page 278
Chemical-List Side effects, if applicable when exposed to time
Include photo or photos (also photo credits)

The stamp on the fuse and 6PR are unfortunately too small to take a pic of.

Your camera should have a macro setting which will allow a close up focus shot of any writing.
In this mode, the camera will focus on objects at very close range, often just a few centimetres, enabling extreme close-ups or highly magnified photos of small objects.
It is the small flower symbol.

Hope this helps.
PC

I managed to get some pics of the 6PR
Not sure about some of the markings
Specifically the XIT 8995

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
Nomenclature/Model Number/Markings
Grenade, Smoke, WP, Hand, No. 77 Mk1

U.K.
Developed and used in WW1
Introduced in early 1943, this small white phosphorus grenade was intended for signaling and screening purposes but, like all WP grenades, it found greater battlefield value as an anti-personnel / incendiary weapon.
The grenade was declared obsolete in 1948 and stockpiles were destroyed for safety reasons. During the war, Canada also produced copies of the No.77, which were found to be of better manufacture and remained in service until the 1950's.
Replace by the No. 80 Smoke

WP: 227 g
Impact Fuze No. 247
Markings/Colour Code
Black Cap
Green Cylindrical body
Stenciling in White
Body Construction
Weight: 383 g
Length: 118mm
Diam: 58mm

Thin tinned steel

Purpose: Smoke screens and incendiary effects

Functioning
Having removed the safety cap, the safety tape is kept in position by the fingers. When the grenade is thrown the weight at the end of the tape causes it to unwind, thereby withdrawing the safety bolt. Only the creep spring is now holding the striker apart from the cap. On impact, the striker overcomes the creep spring, fires the cap which sets off the detonator. This explodes the grenade. Immediately on contact with air the white phosphorus ignites and gives off smoke for about 30 sec.

Do not transport. BIP
Disposal by detonation: counter charge bottom center.

References
Small Arms Training Volume 1, Pamphlet No.13 1942 page 35
ORDATA II

Nomenclature/Model Number/Markings
Diskushandgranate (German Grenade, Hand, 1915)

Germany
Developed and used in WW1

Chlorate
Markings/Colour Code
Turtle Shape
6 tubes
Body Construction
Weight: 415 g
Diameter:
Tin Shell
Aluminum Striker
Safety Cap covered a safety bar and was held on by a safety pin.
Four primer pellets chambers protruded out the edges of the grenade at equal distance from each other.
Weighted primers were held in by screw plugs

Explosive filling was held in 2 cloth bags and covered by the two piece sheet metal
Purpose:
Anti-personnel grenade

Functioning:
When ready to throw the grenade, the safety bin and cap are removed, the safety bar held in with the finger and the grenade thrown like a discus, in flight the rotation of the grenade causes the safety bar to fall out, exposing the points on the star shaped striker. When the grenade strikes the ground, the primer pellet facing the rear from point of impact is thrown forward into the percussion cap causing the grenade to detonate.

Do not move
Disposal by detonation: counter charge main charge.
References
ORDATA II

XIT - I suspect could be Mk 11, Tracer
8995 - This is a lot number
BS - Bar, Solid or Bored from solid
STC - St. Catherine's Steel Products, Ontario
98A - ?
3144 - A lot number, I suspect one of them may be the lot number of the tracers.

Regards

TimG.

IA & F CO. - International Arms & Fuze Co., Ltd, New York.

Regards

TimG

If I have something wrong please let me know.

Nomenclature/Model Number/Markings: Cartridge 81mm HE M43A1

Country Of Origin/Brief History: U.S.A.

Shell was designed to replace SHELL, H.E. M43 as the SHELL, H.E., M43
Used in WW2 up until the 1980’s

Main filling/Type of Fusing: Comp B used with a PD M525 or M717 Fuse

Markings/Colour Code: Olive Drab with Yellow Stenciling

Body Construction:

Total length: 13.32 in

Diameter: 81mm

Wall Thickness is:

Total weight is (X% main filling):
7.5 pounds
1.29 pounds for filling

Forged Steel

Purpose: Used against personnel and light material providing blast and frag

Functioning: When the cartridge is loaded, it slides down the mortar tube until the percussion primer in the ignition cartridge strikes the firing pin in the base cup of the mortar. The primer ignites the ignition cartridge, and the cartridge ignites the propellant charge. Rapidly expanding gases from the burning propellant expel the projectile from the tube and propels it to the target. The projectile is fin-stabilized in flight. The PD fuze functions on impact, detonating the fuze booster charge and in turn, the high explosive charge. The bursting charge shatters the projectile body, producing near optimum fragmentation and blast effect at the target.

Method of Disposal and environmental considerations:
Do not move

Disposal by detonation: Counter Charge Main Charge

References:
TM-43-0001-28 Chap 4 Pg 4-35
ORDATA II

Good evening Ammo Rob,

I'm extremely sorry to say this... but my conscience can't not let you do this...present this item in class and you will have a few questions from your instructor for sure... :tinysmile_angry_t: plus maybe a F (for this item that is... I did not check the other items yet...)
Bud... you need to check your round and tell me what's wrong with this pict... literately!! Unless you're have the round on your desk...
Some of the info is right on but some of it is soo wrong... not by much though. Let’s start with the ID... yes it is a US round but have you notice the lot number???? US are not the only army who used the 81mm mortar system.
Next... the filling... Take a look at your picture again... I'll give you a hint... three letters, stenciled in yellow and quite big too...

Oh! One last thing... :tinysmile_twink_t: Please say hi to RyanA. I don't know him personally but I’m pretty sure I will eventually. The trade is quite small. lol.
Like I said to him... there are lots of good people on this forum with a lot of knowledge. Use it well. It is a good way to get started as for ID’ing the piece that you got… but you need to pay attention to details on your piece and come up with some info on your own as well… don’t need to tell you that as I’m pretty sure you have been on this forum a little bit longer then me… (I been on this forum for about a month now and it almost becoming a tool for me) But the purpose of your exercise is to be able to reseach.
I know that you they are making you answering specific questions on each piece like design, function, etc. Don’t hesitate to go a little more in depth… like the round is in a rain drop shape, the M525 fuze is a single action SQ type, what is the difference between the M43A1 and M43A1B1, (DETAILS...)
This is not just for you but also for your classmate on this as well...

Anyway, Hope for the best and good luck for your course.
We probably gona run in each other as I should be there for my 6A this autumn.
Hope this report is not due for tomorrow!!!
Cheers. TTYL
FCAT.

Last edited:
I did notice the filling on the item but couldn't find a pub on it. Granted I didn't look super hard because I had to move on. I will check again

Might want to double check the NO. 77 as well. Those used in WW1 were in no way similar to the later cylindrical tin version and I don't think could be in same class........Dano

3144 - A lot number, I suspect one of them may be the lot number of the tracers.

Regards

TimG.

I had a second look at picture 2 in #10 and the 3144 is really a 3/44.
It is more likely to be a date stamp.

PC