What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My favourite case

H

Hoeksel

Just for showing (off :tinysmile_twink_t2:) two of my favored cases. The reason I like them so much is because they share a history. Both I found in the early days when I started collecting, and I did not know much yet. In both cases it took me a long time to understand their origin, and in both cases the identification showed they are not common at all. So basically great finds and a lot of digging was needed to identify them...hence, my favored cases from the early days of my collection!

The first is a 15 cm SK L/40 case (152x575R176). This type of gun is intensively used by the Germans in WW1, but this case is different. First of all it is Italian made (SMI) but has a Belgium stamping. Italian made shell cases are common for Belgium in the period around 1930, I have several in my collection (e.g. 75 mm and 105 mm caliber). But never have I seen an Italian made 15 cm SK L/40 case. Only last year, when I visited the Army Museum in Brussels, Belgium, I found a reference (La Position Fortifiee de Lige, Tome 5, Les forts de la Meuse moderniss; E. Coenen & F. Vernier; 2004, ISBN 90-5868-102-5. PB, 224pp,) that the Belgians were modernizing their fort system around Liege (Luik) starting around 1928. Only 1 fort (fort De Fleron) was re-equipped with 1 or 2 German made 15 cm SK L/40 guns left behind after the great war. As far as I know no other 15 cm SK L/40 guns where used by the Belgians. As for the stamp I started a discussion on a Dutch forum and my latest status is that the stamp is probably not "C.150.A.I /40" but due to damage "C.150.A.L/40" and possible means "Canon 150 Allemagne L/40" where Allemagne is French for Germany.

Note: maybe a French speaking member with the referenced book in possession can translate and let me know the amount of guns used?

The second case also made me wonder when I found it. A USA made shell case with the caliber in "cm"? On a Dutch forum the answer was quickly found. This case is a 88x615R114 for the Dutch 8,8 cm Bofors submarine deck gun. Thanks to a befriended collector I now know the following.
F.S.C. was Fulton Sulphon Company from Knoxville , Tennessee. The letter "T" is a mark from the responsible inspector. In the period of 1943 the surviving Dutch submarines where under USA and/or UK flag and many have been stationed in Australia. So the Americans supplied the ammunition for the Dutch deck gun.......a very nice piece of history!

Attachments

• cases.jpg
    cases.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 49
  • C150 case.jpg
    C150 case.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 88 case.jpg
    88 case.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for posting! I really enjoyed the American made Dutch 88 case story. Good stuff to know.

Favourite cases.

I think most of us have in our collections certain very sentimental shells or shell cases. Mine is a 25pdr 1944 dated brass case and the first large calibre case i came across when first started collecting at the age of 10! I saw it in an antiques bric a brac shop and thought well ive only got one pound pocket but i will go in and ask how much the chap in their wanted for it. He took it off the shelf looked at it then looked down at me and said oooh its one pound! So that nice chap made me very happy that day indeed! Needless to say that case was in filthy condition with bits of concrete stuck to it but i cleaned it all off and i still have it today, its a common as muck case but again the story of how i got it seems to mean more now im 44 years old! Regards to all, Tim.

Great story Tim, Sometimes I think the juice is the hunt and then the research to better understand our collections, great stuff..Dano