What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first rocket

Went to St. Louis this morning to pick up smokes and of course had to stop at my favorite militaria shop "Alamo". They were thin on WWI stuff but had this WWII practice rocket, saw it, liked it, bought it. I know nothing about these things and was hoping someone could help me ID what it was fired from, type of rocket etc. Obviously it is an inert practice rocket. Stenciled on the body is
ROCKET.PRAC.;A.T;M7A1
LOT WC-CO 177 2-44
Back to family BBQ
Dano

Attachments

• Picture 743.jpg
    Picture 743.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 744.jpg
    Picture 744.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 89
AT is for anti-tank. It is the practice rocket for the 2.36-inch bazooka. This is the earlier version, there is a later one with shrouded fins.

Thank you kindly Jeff. When I was a kid I had a fascination with the bazooka, probably from Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury comic books. Appreciate the ID and it's cool to know it is a bazooka rocket..Dano

Made in 1942. This looks like the correct rocket (practice) called the M6. 1942 is the same year when production of the rocket and Bazooka were developed.

Then you have the only difference from what I can tell is that the older version used the wires taped on the outside of the rocket (M6A1). The M7A1 had the wiring placed inside the end of the rocket thereby protecting the wiring from damage incurred by handling.

Later in the war the variations became M6A1 and M7A3. These last two rockets had their ogives reshaped inorder to get a better hit angle. They also came with cylindrical fixed fins to increase stability in flight. They went from copper to steel shaped cones in the nose of the rockets thereby, giving the steel cone an improvement of 30% in performance.

The rocket itself was great on the old German tanks at the time of the Tunisia Campaign. It excelled against almost every tank the Japanese ever used. Usually blowing the turrent right off.

From here you went to the 3.5" "Super Bazooka" which saw service in Korea and Vietnam. The germans copied it (The 2.6") and made it into a bigger round to 88mm The Russians obtained their 2.6" bazooka's from us and they liked them. Not much is known about what the Russians did to there Bazooka's after the War?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Mark
V40

Went to St. Louis this morning to pick up smokes and of course had to stop at my favorite militaria shop "Alamo". They were thin on WWI stuff but had this WWII practice rocket, saw it, liked it, bought it. I know nothing about these things and was hoping someone could help me ID what it was fired from, type of rocket etc.
Back to family BBQ
Dano

Hi Dan,

Mate I'm envious! Now why can't we all have days like this as well????

...go down to the local shopping centre, pick up some grog, wander past an antique shop and come home with a torpedo fuze or a famous Japanese sword???

....sorry Dan just day dreaming as usual!!! (LOL)

Nice find!
When I was collecting rockets, I could never find one of these - only the 3.5" version! [But then I did have the launcher as well at one stage.] :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Enjoy the Barbie
CHeers
Drew

A thank you to all for the great information. It is still sinking in that it is indeed a bazooka rocket. Drew, stuff seems to show up when least expected. I ended up getting the rocket, a flare casing and and a 40mm white star parachute cartridge all for 35.00. I have been calling on Alamo for over 20 years and they have to be the best militaria shop i've encountered...Dano

Made in 1942. This looks like the correct rocket (practice) called the M6. 1942 is the same year when production of the rocket and Bazooka were developed.

Then you have the only difference from what I can tell is that the older version used the wires taped on the outside of the rocket (M6A1). The M7A1 had the wiring placed inside the end of the rocket thereby protecting the wiring from damage incurred by handling.

Later in the war the variations became M6A1 and M7A3. These last two rockets had their ogives reshaped inorder to get a better hit angle. They also came with cylindrical fixed fins to increase stability in flight. They went from copper to steel shaped cones in the nose of the rockets thereby, giving the steel cone an improvement of 30% in performance.

The rocket itself was great on the old German tanks at the time of the Tunisia Campaign. It excelled against almost every tank the Japanese ever used. Usually blowing the turrent right off.

From here you went to the 3.5" "Super Bazooka" which saw service in Korea and Vietnam. The germans copied it (The 2.6") and made it into a bigger round to 88mm The Russians obtained their 2.6" bazooka's from us and they liked them. Not much is known about what the Russians did to there Bazooka's after the War?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Mark
V40
Hi
just a couple of pointers
The later versions of the rockets were the M6a3 not (M6a1) and the M7a3 which had a round nose and the circular fins which the M6a3 round went from a steel cone to copper (not from copper to steel) to improve pentration to roughly 5 inches as obvously the m7a3 was a inert practice round.

The round you have dano is definatly a practice m7a1 round which would be fired from a 2.36inch m1a1 bazooka.

The designations of the M7++ markings are practice rockets and the M6++ are HEAT rounds.

The early M6 and M7 rounds are fired from the M1 bazooka then they upgraded it to the M1a1 launcher which then used the M6a1 and M7a1 rounds, the later round nose and cylinder rear fin rounds of the M6a3 and the M7a3 could also be used in it, they were also used in the m9a1 bazookas.

Also with out double checking my manuals off the top of my head i think it was the M6 and M7 rounds that had the wire on the outside the M6a1 and the M7a1 had it on the inside.

hope that helps a little will check my manuals tomorrow to make sure i havnt made a mistake.

from bazooka chris

Last edited:
Hi
just a couple of pointers
The later versions of the rockets were the M6a3 not (M6a1) and the M7a3 which had a round nose and the circular fins which the M6a3 round went from a steel cone to copper (not from copper to steel) to improve pentration to roughly 5 inches as obvously the m7a3 was a inert practice round.

The round you have dano is definatly a practice m7a1 round which would be fired from a 2.36inch m1a1 bazooka.

The designations of the M7++ markings are practice rockets and the M6++ are HEAT rounds.

The early M6 and M7 rounds are fired from the M1 bazooka then they upgraded it to the M1a1 launcher which then used the M6a1 and M7a1 rounds, the later round nose and cylinder rear fin rounds of the M6a3 and the M7a3 could also be used in it, they were also used in the m9a1 bazookas.

Also with out double checking my manuals off the top of my head i think it was the M6 and M7 rounds that had the wire on the outside the M6a1 and the M7a1 had it on the inside.

hope that helps a little will check my manuals tomorrow to make sure i havnt made a mistake.

from bazooka chris
Thank you very much for the information bazooka chris. The responce on this one has been great. I am kind of embarassed that I didn't even know it was for a bazooka. But alas my BOCN friends come through and steer me on the right path. Really thanks to all....Dano

I stand corrcted. Teaches me that a man with his first name on this site would be "Bazooka".

I forgot to mention that my material is from Bruce Canfield's book entitled: "Weapons of World War II".

Not sure if that makes any difference though?:tinysmile_hmm_t: