What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mills Family

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Now ive said this before ,i dont go out to collect Mills grenades but over the years ive acquired a few ,not all in great condition but they all hold a peculiar attraction
Picture 1 ,Left to right ,No 5 ,01/16 ,V.P Ltd ,Relic ,
No 23 MK 1 ,10/16 ,Falkirk ,
No 23 Mk 2 ? ,S.G.B , Relic ,
No 36 Mk 1 ,with Gas Check ,Relic,
No 36 M Mk1 ,with Gas Check, 10/17,JMD&SL ,
made into moneybox

Picture 2 ,Left to right , No36 ,M ,Mk 1 , 1943 ,TA&C
No36 ,M ,Practice , K .well used !!
No 36 , M , Mk 1 ,1966 ,EG ,
No 4 , Israeli copy of the 36
No 36 , M ,mK 1 ,Sectioned by yours truly

In between is another 23 with its launching rod ,i also forgot to include the 30 plus base plugs ,mostly for the No5 ,the drill dets ,etc
Regards Dave

Attachments

• 2008_0430mills0002.JPG
    2008_0430mills0002.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2008_0430mills0003.JPG
    2008_0430mills0003.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 2008_0430mills0001.JPG
    2008_0430mills0001.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 128
excellent selection there big dave. not too sure about the green ones though. a nice coat of shelac would be better.
cheers, paul

Wot no segments

Dave's impressive arsenal reminded me to look out this photograph. Clearly Mr Mills didn't always get things right in his castings - one for the Dremmil I suggest.

Attachments

• Mills10515.jpg
    Mills10515.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 88
Patent GB 10515/1915

This was an idea by Mills to cast a grenade with integral centre piece (or at least the striker chamber of the CP). He experimented in aluminium and cast iron. It was probably too difficult a process for mass production; in any case it didn't seem to get very far beyond experimentation. The patent spec will have chapter and verse on it.

As far as I am aware there were no internal segments.

Dave's impressive arsenal reminded me to look out this photograph. Clearly Mr Mills didn't always get things right in his castings - one for the Dremmil I suggest.

Very nice, is that the filler plug in an odd place?
Don't mention Dremmils - you know what'll happen next, someone will turn one of these up at a boot sale and get to work on it!!??
Dave.

Mills Plain

Very nice, is that the filler plug in an odd place?
Don't mention Dremmils - you know what'll happen next, someone will turn one of these up at a boot sale and get to work on it!!??
Dave.

Dave,
The casting process required three 'equatorial' holes to support the pattern and to get the sand out. The design uses one of these holes as the filling hole, the others had to be plugged.

This was an idea by Mills to cast a grenade with integral centre piece (or at least the striker chamber of the CP). He experimented in aluminium and cast iron. It was probably too difficult a process for mass production; in any case it didn't seem to get very far beyond experimentation. The patent spec will have chapter and verse on it.

As far as I am aware there were no internal segments.

I'm staggered this exists. I've only seen the patent drawings.

John

Mills - other than 5, 23 & 36

I'm staggered this exists. I've only seen the patent drawings.

John

He did a few other unusual grenades. His rifle percussion grenade was produced in the hope that it would win the No 22 business, and his 'Aerial' grenade was a remarkable contraption for anti Zep and sub work.

Here is a photo of the RPG alongside No 22s, I'll look out a photograph of the aerial grenade.

Attachments

• Mills RPG.jpg
    Mills RPG.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Mills - other than 5, 23 & 36

Herewith a photo of Mills' aerial Grenade (GB Patent 7872 of 1915). Comes as a pair joined together by a length of sash cord.

On sighting your Zeppilin connect one grenade to a spigot under one wing of your SE5A and the other grenade on a spigot under the other wing. Pull safety pins.

Take off.

Spend four hours reaching 10,000 feet and position yourself above a million gallons of hydrogen.

Pull lever, spigots will retract and the two grenades will decend gracefully to straddle the Zeppilin and explode 9 seconds after release .... OR only one spigot will retract and a 9 second fuzed grenade will dangle ten feet under your aircraft.....

Surprisingly the Aerial Grenade did not get adopted!!

Attachments

• Mills-Aerial.jpg
    Mills-Aerial.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Wonderfull stuff Norman,

you can even see the base plug and lever from the Mills gren. Any idea where i can get me one of these?

Andy

A few more proposed Mills bombs from his original patent.

Correction, not his original, but a subsequent application.

TimG

Attachments

• mills.jpg
    mills.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
  • mills1.jpg
    mills1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 26
  • mills3.jpg
    mills3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Norman,

Did the 'rattle' versions ever make it off the drawing board?

Tim