What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new arrivals

W

ww1grenades

these arrived today
german 1914 rifle grenade
early french besozzi
and my favourite an early kugel grenade

Q. how many differant models of kugels are there and has anyone got pictures of all the models

thanks guys
shaun

Attachments

• PICT0001fg.jpg
    PICT0001fg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 57
Hi WW1 Grenades, nice catch. There is a 1913 kugel, and a 1915 kugel. The one you have is what I call the transitional kugel, half way between the 1913 and 1915 models. There is the bilboquet (ball in cup) which is a variation of the 1915 kugel. There is a stick kugel using the 1913 kugel grenade. Impossible for me to picture them all without violating copyright laws. Really recommend Delhomme's book on WW1 German grenades to get a good picture of the various models of kugel grenades. Your "transitional" kugel, I would consider somewhat rare, as in they are around but not common at all. I don't have one and never have had, but always looking. Nice to have other WW1 grenade collectors in here. I know this is a somewhat evasive answer, but my knowledge is somewhat limited. Regards....Dano

Very fine grenades. The Kugal is a very rare type. Well done for finding it.

John

Hello,
Anyone know what type this Kugel is? All I know is that the pannier is a repro, but the grenade was bought in good faith, I bought the pannier separately as a repro simply for display.
Cheers,
navyman.

Unfinished Kugel

See post #14 by paul the grenade in the link

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/kugelmania-t62117.html?t=62117&highlight=kugelmania

- the Kugel shown above by ww1grenades is the raw casting straight out of the mould, albeit that it's been threaded to take the friction igniter.

The transverse casting of the 1913 model Kugel cannot be completed in a single operation, two part sand moulding -the grooves immediately above and below the centre line segmentation band would have required machining on a lathe, as touched on in post #15 in

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/casting-terminology-t70549p2.html

The model 1915 was ultimately a simpler variant of Kugel, and was clearly an evolutionary step of the manufacturing process of the model 1913 that lent itself to single operation, two part moulding, with no post-machining.

Tom.

Last edited:
Hello, The transitional Kugel in the first picture is really nice. Does anyone have an idea what a top dollar price would be for one in mint condition that has been sectioned? THANKS, Pat