What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Mills no23 MkII info please

chaseuk45

Hi all just had this arrive today:xd:, i am after some info i think it is a training one as it has white paint on it. also it came with an inert det have any of you seen these before??

the baseplate says Moorwoods no23 Mk II on the spine in the centre it has 1 then 17 is this thae date??

Many thanks

Attachments

• 23front.jpg
    23front.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 46
  • 23back.jpg
    23back.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 44
  • baseplate.jpg
    baseplate.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 36
  • det.jpg
    det.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi Chaseuk45

There are people who are much more knowledgeable than me on the Mills grenades, but I can tell you that the number markings are in fact the date, so Jan 1917.
The inert detonaters turn up on S.A. from time to time and also there are reproductions of these.
I am sure there are others that can enlighten you more.

regards
Kev

Hi thanks i have seen the inert dets on SA and the repro ones but i have not seen one like this before i did not know if it was rare??

Hi thanks i have seen the inert dets on SA and the repro ones but i have not seen one like this before i did not know if it was rare??

Hi,
Are there any markings on the det as that may help in identification, I know some are marked drill, inert etc...
Not my field I'm afraid, but sure someone will be able to help.
regards
kev

Hi buddy
Nice gren but i reccon the base plug is wrong, its a later addition.
What i reccon you have is a No 5 with the early channeled lever thats crying out for a No 5 base plug. Dont think that a no 23/11 gren would have such a lever. Also the det which looks original is also for a No 5.
As for the white paint, well buddy, it could have been a training gren, which would have been painted white or it could also be oxidised shellac, we will never know.

I would just change the base plug and you have a very nice early No 5. The No 23 plug just dosnt have the same age or patina to it as the gren.

Great find, well done bud.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi bud,

its a No 5 det from its shape. Early ones were made from brass and of a similar design. I suspect that the type you have has had the copper det sleeve removed. If it is covered in wax paper and the metal is underneath be well wary as it could be a live one. A live det would not have any markings on it to show that its live or have a makers name.
Certainly the gren you have is a No 5 and not a No 23 in my opinion. A No 23/1 would have come first but the lever is wrong for a 23.

Andy

If you already have a number 5, you could look out for a no 23 lever and have it as a number 23 and put the det in a number 5. Like Gothica says, I would make sure about that det, you wouldn't want that going bang in your hand!

Hi the det is safe the percussion cap on the anvil is struck there is no metal under the waxed paper! I have heard a story from my dad about detonators going off in peoples hands!! I remember him saying thar a bloke lost his hand on the way down to the Falklands playing with a detonator!! does any one have any pics of a 23 leaver??

thanks

Hi bud,

the easiest way to finish off this very nice gren is to just add a No 5 brass base plug, pm me if you want one. A No 5 channeled lever is much more rare than a 23 lever. The det wont go off and hurt you if the actual det has been removed, all it is is a bit of Bickford fuze. To change the lever in my mind is wrong as its much better as is. Up to you. They made many millions more No 23s than No 5s. I know which i would want.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi again,
however if you really want to change your gren into a No 23, ile happily swap your lever for a No 23. Mind you, ile be getting the better deal.

Andy