What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new No23 Mills Grenade

Edwardc

Recently got this for my collection, all original No23 Mills Grenade. All original. Nicely marked body with matching lever, filler plug looks like it has never been removed, remains of shellac on the body, minimal corrosion. Inner tube is original courtesy of Siegfried and the rod is from my collection (battle field pick up)

Im never sure if the ring/pin is original but they look contemporary with the grenade.

Pics

DSCN0546Small.jpg

Filler plug
DSCN0543Small.jpg

Nicely marked body - MF - According to this website its made by Munitions Footscray, Australia http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/Markings.htm - can anyone confirm?
DSCN0536Small.jpg

Foundry markings?
DSCN0538Small.jpg

Last edited:
Matching marked fly off lever
DSCN0541Small.jpg

DSC_4441Small.jpg

Baseplug, it came with 2, the other one says 'REVO' on it but is in poor condition
DSC_4447Small.jpg

How it fits within my collection, top left to bottom right, WW2 1943 No36, self made section WW1 1916 No5, WW1 1916 No5, WW1 No23 (in pieces and yes I know its the wrong detonator - i dont have a spare correct era one!)
DSCN0534Small.jpg

Sorry for the mass of pics

Also what do people advise to prevent corrosion? I keep the grens when not on display in an airtight container with dessicant.

Just wax them or a coat of clear lacquer? I dont want to resto as i quite like the semi-relic look i think it adds to the history

Ed

I coat all my ordnance in a thin layer of 3 in one oil, have done for last 20 years, does the job and doesnt lift any original markings (WD 40 does!!)
3in1 also gives them a pleasing appearance, and highlights any markings.

Also what do people advise to prevent corrosion? I keep the grens when not on display in an airtight container with dessicant.

Just wax them or a coat of clear lacquer? I dont want to resto as i quite like the semi-relic look i think it adds to the history

Ed

Ed. Glad the centre tube was OK for you . All you need now is the correct No23 Mk3 base plug but I don't have any at this time . As far as preserving your grenades , just a thin layer of oil or black boot polish can also work wonders if the outside has lost its lacquer & is just slightly pitted bare metal . Mike

Hi Ed, Nice Grenades you have there as for preserving them i just use beeswax polish and find that works ok.
Andy

Ed. Glad the centre tube was OK for you . All you need now is the correct No23 Mk3 base plug but I don't have any at this time . As far as preserving your grenades , just a thin layer of oil or black boot polish can also work wonders if the outside has lost its lacquer & is just slightly pitted bare metal . Mike

yeah the revo baseplug i have is a MkIII but its almost unreadable and the threads are quite poor although it does fit i didnt want to seat it home and get it stuck or ruin the threads on the gren, which are perfect. So the REVO plug has gone in my (tiny) baseplug collection and the best No23 baseplug i have has gone on the gren. At least its almost right, until i find a good MkIII baseplug that will do. Might get one at the next mil fair i go to. im in no rush though, i have hit my limit for 'collectible purchasing' for the month now - the missus will go mental if any more packets turn up lol!

will keep my eyes open, im quite pleased about the lever matching the body though.

cheers for the inner though, it fits perfect.

Ed

Try Renaissance Wax.....available on Amazon.

Renaissance Wax was specialy developed and formulated by the British Museum to preserve armaments.

It's great stuff and I believe most museums in the world use it to protect their stuff as well. It works wonders on all my grenades / guns / rifles and mortars.

Hope this helps.