What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Sterling

satan18

After wandering around several dealers at beltring i could only find one Sterling SMG that
i liked,but i hesitated for a day and it sold,so back to square one and wandering around
i drifted in Mssrs Ryton Arms pitch and guess what i saw,yes indeed probably the nicest
Sterling i have seen for a while so i brought it straight away this time.

just one of those moments that i seemed to have a hit list of one offs to buy myself this
year.

The best bit was that it came with the correct sling and was 40 cheaper than the first one i saw.
cant complain at all as Rytons were very pleasant and seemed to have time for the punter.

This is a 2009 spec Deact and came with all papers to that effect:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• Gold Capri 459.jpg
    Gold Capri 459.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Gold Capri 461.jpg
    Gold Capri 461.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Gold Capri 460.jpg
    Gold Capri 460.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Gold Capri 462.jpg
    Gold Capri 462.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
Nice gun ! Good job almost brought one my self but got a dp28 from ryton instead I agree they have lots of time for you ! This Is the next gun on my list ! I through you where a bomb collector lol will you continue with guns ? Kind regards Alex

Nice one Phil,it was worth the wait pal :)

Alex,i also have a few de-acs in my collection as its good to keep the hobby fresh with different items.

best

waff

Hi Alex
All through the 80s and 90s i was heavily into my Section one. and RFD pending,mainly all
Enfields and British small arms with a few german pistols thrown in.

But as legislation took hold it became a battle to retain anything exciting so after 20 odd years
i surrendered my licence with good character (off course) and called it a day.

Damm well miss it though as made good friends went to good meets and did what Shooters do best
Enjoyed it.
Easier collecting the odd deact now but not as much fun.
Well done on the dp28 He had some nice clean weapons at good prices to.

Best regards phil

Did you notice the spelling error on the certificate? "Sub machine Gun - Stering"

Just noticed the spelling lol thanks I just brought a h and k g3 from them as well not expensive guns but I have no money lol the dp28 was 100 pounds cheaper than others and came with 3 mags a mag bag gun cover sling and it cocks and shoots ! So I'm happy ! The g3 is all welded though ! Waffenamt that is a very impressive collection ! Looking at your threads yove got a lot of bombs too ! Lol I think you should update your collection room pic is the mp40 a ww2 ? What do they change to make it blank fire ? Kind regards Alex Alexanderstevens75@yahoo.com

Just noticed the spelling lol thanks I just brought a h and k g3 from them as well not expensive guns but I have no money lol the dp28 was 100 pounds cheaper than others and came with 3 mags a mag bag gun cover sling and it cocks and shoots ! So I'm happy ! The g3 is all welded though ! Waffenamt that is a very impressive collection ! Looking at your threads yove got a lot of bombs too ! Lol I think you should update your collection room pic is the mp40 a ww2 ? What do they change to make it blank fire ? Kind regards Alex Alexanderstevens75@yahoo.com

Hey Alex,
yes,i have to make time soon to re-vamp the room and take pics. Gonna be a proper change around. Now the MP40 is indeed ww2 German. Has been de-acced by proofhouse but still cocks and dry fires.

best

waff

I had a Negligent Discharge with one of these horrible things. I had the Select lever to the wrong position and when I cocked it, I didn't pull the working parts back far enough so that when I let go it fired 2 or 3 rounds. Of course there is so little recoil that I was standing there thinking "Was that me?" I found out momentarily when the CSM approached me and invited me to vacate my position on the firing line and "GET OFF MY F*&KING RANGE!!"

Has been de-acced by proofhouse but still cocks and dry fires.
A minor detail, but the Proof Houses are just inspection bodies. The person or company that deactivated it should be under the 'submittted by' part of the certificate. (Assuming the certificate isn't a replacement)

Nice Sterling. I'd quite like one, but struggle with the idea of paying more than 200 for a hacked about new-spec. In case you didn't know, all the Sterlings on the UK deact market are export guns sold in the past to places like New Zealand or Singapore. All the MoD ones are either still in store, or have been scrapped. An instantly recognisable feature of the export guns is the 'crackle' paint finish, which isn't British spec.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark

Good to know that little fact about the paint finish,but other than that was it a basic uk spec sterling.

Best phil

Thanks Mark
Speaking to one or two people and they tell me that some of the British Army sterlings were blued
If this is the case then i will get myself a kit and do it.

Best phil

Unless you're not bothered about future resale value, I'd leave it as it is to be honest. The original British finish is smooth Suncorite 259 paint, not bluing. I'd personally rather have the original factory finish - even if it isn't strict British spec. Have a read of this thread on the Milsurps forum:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=29520

Cheers,
Mark

There are some Sterlings around in Libya. Perhaps Blair sold all of ours to there when he was Gaddafi's best mate.

I have always thought that these de-acs would be like having a classic car you always wanted sitting on the drive, but with it being illegal to have an engine in it. This is why I have never got into collecting them.

Last edited:
Hi Falcon

Indeed so but fortunately when i did have a section one licence in the early 80s i did get
a nice taster of most of the goodies at the time including the police sterling,but Hungerford
re wrote the licencing laws and deemed all legitimate shooters un trustworthy.

Its a shame as its done absolutely nothing to reduce gun crime as a whole.

Best phil

Hi Falcon

Indeed so but fortunately when i did have a section one licence in the early 80s i did get
a nice taster of most of the goodies at the time including the police sterling,but Hungerford
re wrote the licencing laws and deemed all legitimate shooters un trustworthy.

It's not really Hungerfords fault,it was because of a misunderstanding between Michael and his mum when she asked him to shoot up the high street and get her a loaf of bread:xd:.

probably shouldn't have said that.

Tony

oooh Tony :eek:oh:

I will never forgive Douglas hurd as just as i was about to apply for a variation for a Bren MK1
he stuck his oar in and pulled the plug on us.
Once again old ground but there was a lot known about Micheal ryans firearms anticks way before
the actual event.

Loaf of bread LOL

Best phil