What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Sterling

Yes! on a serious note,as being a local at the time,it was well known that there were serious problems before the 'event' and very disturbing to know that the weapons used were all legally held and reviewed and inspected shortly before it happened.

Cheers
Tony

I have been told that Mr Ryan got his licence within 48 hours because his mum knew the local copper who signed his ticket as a witness. His proof of membership to a club was not a proper club but a club that hired out guns on a range in which could not be taken away which also had no probation terms. Other shooters under the same constabulary had to wait six months for a simple barrel change variation.
As for fininsh there is a good book out about the Sterling from the days of the Lanchester to the Sterlings last days. The army Sterling finish is a parkerized finish with a suncorite finish on top.

Yes youv'e got it but it was a FAC renewal that was carried out just before he ran amock,also,not sure if I should say this but there was also some (un-related to firearms) mental illness issues that were known about,but still allowed to keep firearms!
I know I recounted the local current joke at the time,but I often wonder who actually was responsible for what happened that day?

Tony

I have heard some similar rumours with Dunblane. I was told that the government put some very high level reporting bans on it, so the full story we will never know. The rumours are that Thomas Hamilton had connections to a paedophile ring with some members which included senior politicians. It is said that had the whole thing leaked out then the government at the time could have been brought down. Apparently when one of the children who had been injured woke up in hospital, he said something to his mum like "the bad man's dead now, the policeman shot him". This is obviously at odds with the "official" story as it implies that someone had an idea of what would happen. Supposedly the armed police were to shoot him before he opened fire but did not get to him in time.

Do not take any of this as truth as it has an air of urban legend about it to me, this is the way I was told it.