What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My No36 Cutaway

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This is from my own collection.It is not mint ,this is because it is made from relic parts collected from european battlefields over the years .Personnaly i prefer cutaways as apart from showing how it works ,it also stops people assuming its live...What do other members have to show
my36.jpg

Another replacement item for the long gone collection is this mills no36 i sectioned on saturday again kindly donated by a fellow bocn member,
Body is stamped C i believe this is for Chatham Co of ontario.
The base plug is stamped
no36M MkI
S in a circle Joseph Stokes Rubber Co ?
a mark i cant make out cos my eyes are no good
and dated 43
The lever is stamped nPz

Attachments

• No36 M Mk1 grenade cutaway sectioned.jpg
    No36 M Mk1 grenade cutaway sectioned.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
Great cut Allan, I think this one is an improvement on your original one - well done!!!!
Its also great to see the generosity of other members :congrats:

regards Kev

Well a year on i was looking at the cut Mills and i just was not happy with it,,other than cutting it i had made it into something it wasnt, originally it had been a drill grenade with what i thought was a badly drilled safety pin hole as there were two sets of holes one above the other ,These i filled in along with the holes in the body before making into the grenade in my previous post.I was looking on line when i found the extra safety pin holes were for a bar to stop the lever from flying off and getting lost.Then i started thinking i should put it back to what it was originally instead of a frankenstein grenade.What i didnt realise ahead of me lay several days of work,,,
I started by stripping the finish and clearing the holes out and fitting the safety bar ,I then painted it white as it should have been,but it didnt look right it looked too new ,
so i built up more layers of white paint and scraped and peeled it so it looked like it had years of age,At first i thought yes that looks good now,,,
this thought did not last long the more i looked at it the more i thought it still does not look right, its fake aging its still not what it should be .
Then i had the thought i will just clean it all back to the bare metal through out and leave it as it is with no fakery ,
So many hours later i got all the previous paint cleaned off and the metal work cleaned and im now happy with the finish, no fake aging or other dodgy finish............

Attachments

• Mills 1.JPG
    Mills 1.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Mills 2.jpg
    Mills 2.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Mills 3.JPG
    Mills 3.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Mills 4.JPG
    Mills 4.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Mills 5.JPG
    Mills 5.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Mills 6.JPG
    Mills 6.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 34
  • Mills 7.JPG
    Mills 7.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 48
Well a year on i was looking at the cut Mills and i just was not happy with it,,other than cutting it i had made it into something it wasnt, originally it had been a drill grenade with what i thought was a badly drilled safety pin hole as there were two sets of holes one above the other ,These i filled in along with the holes in the body before making into the grenade in my previous post.I was looking on line when i found the extra safety pin holes were for a bar to stop the lever from flying off and getting lost.Then i started thinking i should put it back to what it was originally instead of a frankenstein grenade.What i didnt realise ahead of me lay several days of work,,,
I started by stripping the finish and clearing the holes out and fitting the safety bar ,I then painted it white as it should have been,but it didnt look right it looked too new ,
so i built up more layers of white paint and scraped and peeled it so it looked like it had years of age,At first i thought yes that looks good now,,,
this thought did not last long the more i looked at it the more i thought it still does not look right, its fake aging its still not what it should be .
Then i had the thought i will just clean it all back to the bare metal through out and leave it as it is with no fakery ,
So many hours later i got all the previous paint cleaned off and the metal work cleaned and im now happy with the finish, no fake aging or other dodgy finish............

Nice to see Allan, is the filler screw in the last picture aluminum,,,,,, Dave

Allan, you did the right thing in the end........thats excellent!!

Personally I love to see the natural state. Dont get me wrong original paint/finish is much preffered, however, you only have to look at the photos you have put on to see the difference.

Now I bet you will spend many a happy time looking at your creation with a feeling of great satisfaction.........well done, great job!!!

all the best Kev

Thanks for the comments everyone ,,yes im very pleased with how it looks now,i no longer look at it thinking it just doesnt look right..
Yes dave the plug is aluminium i cant remember if it came with the grenade or i bought it from Jay at dugup ,,im thinking the latter,im going to see if i can find a genuine one when i go to detling later this month

Great result Allan, espacially the one you left "au naturel" (no painted edges)

Regards, DJH