What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Piat

Bought this out of a museum awhile back.Sure is a nice piece.Guess all its really missing is the leather wrap.Its got a cork on a chain by where you put the round in. Can anyone tell me what its for?

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 121
  • bazooka2.jpg
    bazooka2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Hi

When the piat is cocked, the center spigot goes into the main body of the piat.
The cork is there to plug the hole where the spigot would normally poke out from so it stops dirt etc from entering into the weapon, so when it's ready to be fired it's simply pulled out and it's normally on a small chain so it doesn't get lost and is ready for next time.
Hope that helps ?

I see from the pictures your also missing the rubber butt pad that is normally covered by a material cover (not leather) and your missing the main tube material cover (also not leather) you can also attach slings to the loops on the side of the body, The slings are from a lee Enfield rifle.
If there's anything else you want to know just ask.

From bazooka chris

Here are some pictures of the Butt pad and cover, Body cover, and sub-cal tray, along with 2 enfield slings.

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures missingsomething saved me having to take pictures this morning of the bits he was missing.
I didn't mention about the sub caliber tray as I could see you already had one fitted as the fastening knob was in place at the front.

As for price the last one I saw for myself for sale and actually sold was at the war and peace show last year and It sold for 3650.

From bazooka chris

Thanks for posting the pictures missingsomething saved me having to take pictures this morning of the bits he was missing.
I didn't mention about the sub caliber tray as I could see you already had one fitted as the fastening knob was in place at the front.

As for price the last one I saw for myself for sale and actually sold was at the war and peace show last year and It sold for 3650.

From bazooka chris

Thanks Chris, wow thats 5792.00 USD I never knew they were worth that. Was that for a live one or a dimill one?

S. Mckibben,
Can I ask how long have you been collecting? Also, I am with Rick as I would also love to see that flamethrower?

One other thing guys. In the movie "A Bridge Too Far" They show a PIAT in action when defending that bridge or getting pounded fro the otherside when they needed to get across it. Cannot remember now. Anyhow, does anybody now or think that when they fired it that the projectile really was shown as it is during flight. I mean were the scenes with the PIAT realalistic?

Hope you can read the Dutch manual about the PIAT.

Chris

Nope.. but it has lots of pictures :wink:

As for the price..... I have seen them go in the US and Canada for between $1000 - $2000 and as high as $3k. Most of them on Gunbroker have been in that $1800 -$2000.

just my 2 cents.

One other thing guys. In the movie "A Bridge Too Far" They show a PIAT in action when defending that bridge or getting pounded fro the otherside when they needed to get across it. Cannot remember now. Anyhow, does anybody now or think that when they fired it that the projectile really was shown as it is during flight. I mean were the scenes with the PIAT realalistic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMc-I58lq0&feature=relmfu

I would think that it was accurate. It wasn't a rocket but a projectile that was hit by a rod with a 200 lb spring and a small booster charge.

V40, I'm with MissingSomething. From one of the anecdotal references I've read, and I'm paraphrasing, one of the drawbacks of the PIAT was that once fired, it was disconcerting (that word was the one I remember from the story) for the gunner to have to watch the round sail to the target. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Thanks guys, for some unkown reason I kinda thought it was. I know nothing about the PIAT other than I know it was a female dog to cock. Again thanks for the info!