What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Item

steve R

Just some help please.

This is one of two items I purchased together. The other is clearly a cannon ball made of solid iron. The seller stated that the two balls came together.

DSCN8288.jpgDSCN8289.jpg

Above are two pics of the other item. There are four holes of two different sizes opposite each other. I thought a bit of research on the internet would tell me what it is but I haven't been able to find one. It measure approximately 3 1/4 inches.

Perhaps it is a bit of machinery, any ideas?

Steve R

Just some help please.

This is one of two items I purchased together. The other is clearly a cannon ball made of solid iron. The seller stated that the two balls came together.

View attachment 125308View attachment 125309

Above are two pics of the other item. There are four holes of two different sizes opposite each other. I thought a bit of research on the internet would tell me what it is but I haven't been able to find one. It measure approximately 3 1/4 inches.

Steve R

Back in the days of decorative iron fences, many sizes of round caps and decorative designs, were cast. Many a round iron balls with holes have been mistaken for cannon balls....as an old cannoneer, you can use this guide to determine ball and shot size diameter.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Last edited:
Just some help please.

View attachment 125308View attachment 125309

Steve R
Hi,
on a first look, these items don't look like ammunition, but... Did the seller give you any info where these items were found and the circumstances ? The only possibility for ammunition, would be some unusual type of "Carcasse". To identify that, more background info is needed.
Bellifortis.

Hello

The seller couldn't give any additional info I did ask as I was curious of this one. He said he had three come together. The third was there much bigger, almost the size of a bowling ball with one hole in it I took to be for the fuse pocket. If I could have carried it all around the fair I would have purchased it.

In any case back to the item in question, he couldn't give any more info so for £5 thought I would take the chance. That is one of the problems with general sellers at Flea Markets they tend to have a bit of every thing and not always the knowledge to go with it. Thank you to 917601 for a very useful chart of weights etc.

Steve R