What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N16

wemme

N16 WW1 Defensive grenade
Matchhead fuze 4 seconds delay.
113gram Ammonal.

I picked up this N16 a while ago
DSCF1577.JPG

Cheers for the info spotter
interesting it shows the fuse being internal where as all the ones i have seen have been external like mine
Regards
Bart

This is another document i have on the No16,,appears to be the same image but reworked

screenshot-0f113b7c4de2dd3f12192f4df76481be.jpg

Nice grenades Paul,
Does any one know if there was any improvement by using internal vs external fragmentation lines?
Must have been a pain to cast
Regards
Bart

have not seen one with that casting on the inside before i wonder if it made any difference to fragmentation?
Wemme by "external fragmentation lines" are you refering to Mills bombs, as i thought they were there to promote grip on the grenade rather than fragmentation. I have seen photographs showing a exploded mills or two once all the pices were collected and it seemed like the broke up in a random paten and not with the lines. Just my thoughts can anyone else help out here?
Nice grenades paul thanks for posting.
Weasel.

Weasel, Wemme,

If you have to make a core box for a casting, making one with fragentation lines is very little extra effort.

As to effect doubtful.

'Random' really sums up the fragmentation of Mills' bombs in both dispersion and fragment size with the notable exception of the base which apparently, invariably, comes away in one big piece.

If I remember correctly, the safety distance for a 36 is 250 yards - and it is for a very good reason.

Regards

Tim.G.

Whilst on this subject, some of you will probably already know that these grenades were also used by the Russians in WW1 along with the Mills grenade and No 15, the ball pattern. Until the recent ban, No 15's and 16's were coming up for sale on ebay from Eastern European countries. I seem to remember reading that internal serration made a small difference to the fragmentation pattern on detonation, whereas external did not.

Many thanks,
Just what I was looking for.
BOCN can always be relied on for important info.
Cheers,
navyman.

There were several variants of the No16 & some had no internal segmentation . There were also different metals used for the top & bottom plugs . Nice grenades !

any chance of identifying the thread diameter and pitch on plug and fuze holder?