What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need an ID on these projo's

weberoed

Ordnance approved
I should know these but for the lilfe of me can not get a handle on an ID - thanks in advanceIMG_8796.JPGIMG_8797.JPG

I know it is a stretch, but to me it looks like a 130mm projectile.
Bob

Kicking this one back up for review.
pzg I can see where the 130 with dual rotating bands looks close, same for some 152mm. In your example there is no bourlett toward the middle, the ones in the pictures as 2. But the ejection rounds for these 2 calibers has different boat tails aft of the rotating bands, and the base plates are different then the one shown in the pic.

At first the US 155mm M 825 and XM 1123 were considered, but the distance from the rear of the rotating band to the base of the projectiles is too long.

These rounds were fired in Syria, north of Aleppo
Any help would be appreciated

130mm Chinese BE Smoke known to be used in Iraq. Chinese Illuminating use eccentric drilled holes in the baseplate so the baseplate takes a different path than the projectile body upon functioning. Your photo shows symmetrical spanner holes like the BE Smoke. They don't care where those base plates land.

They wouldn't be U.S. M825/M1123/M1124 because they use a long M483 fiberglass wrapped body, and only have one rotating band, and the base plates aren't completely internal to the body.

Attachments

• Chinese BE Smoke.jpg
    Chinese BE Smoke.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Baseplate closeup.jpg
    Baseplate closeup.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I couldn't get my pic to enlarge enough to see the spanner holes, I could see something but not good enough for me to tell. Thanks, I need to find one more reference just to be sure

Hard to get providence when your customers give no measurements. See baseplate photo above. I can provide a Illum baseplate photo if you need that.

thanks I'd like the photo even if it is just for the library.

Yeah I get a lot of photos asking for ID, most are easy enough but they are always the same, some guy with a camera takes a pic but no reference and nor measurements, they think the pic tells it all

thanks for the enlarged pic too