What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying a large bore case

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Bought this with a group of other items. Cannot find anything close in Hawkinson, but that may be me. Closest I came is a Swedish case that is supposed to be steel and plastic, not my item. My measurements are 154mm ID at the mouth, 203mm at the rim, and approx 830mm long. Two piece case with a slight taper. Primer hole is plugged, two small sets of markings. Any help is appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_0382.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0377.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0379.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0375.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0376.jpg

EOC is Elswick Ordnance Company

They were based in Newcastle upon Tyne and became part of Vickers in 1927.

Tim beat me to it.

There was a QF 6" Naval Gun made at EOC, but I do not have the case dimensions.

I think the early cases were longer than the later ones.

the original British 6'' was a black powder case but then cut down to take a cordite charge. they both used the protruding primer hence yours has a small hole filled with something. the cases both had 3 tags for a closing disc. I do not have a case length for the old long case but the rim would be 198.5mm (nominal). I think you have the very rare 6'' long case there but that is only my guess.