What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help ID'ing rockets

Detcord

Guys, I've been asked to put together a display of Ordnance items used in a WWII training area here in the states.&nbsp; It was in use from 1943-44, and is now a recreation area that items occasionally turn up.&nbsp; Most items I have ID'ed and have, but there are some items on the list I'm not familiar&nbsp; with.&nbsp; <br><br>3.25 inch rocket, Target, Mk1-Mk4. <br><br>Also may be rocket or projo<br><br>3 inch APC, M 62, M 62A1<br><br>3 inch AP, M79<br><br>I'm probably looking right at em, but for the life of me they just don't sound familiar.&nbsp; Thanks for your help,&nbsp; Kevin &nbsp;&nbsp;

Detcord, There are a whole bunch of pubs in the downloads section of the forum. There is a section for most ordnance groups and rockets have a lot and cover the time frame you require. You with a UXO company? If so, which one? Cheers, Bruce.

These items you listed "3 inch APC, M 62, M 62A1, 3 inch AP, M79" are projectiles for the 3 inch antitank gun/antiaircraft gun/M-10 tank destroyer. There are photos of them here in the Forum postings.

3.25 was a target rocket for AA gunners. A long tube with oversized wooden fins, the nozzle was hidden inside the tube about halfway down the body. A flare was clipped to the nose for easier viewing. The rockets survived impact fairly well, fins pretty much never. The simple rearward facing clips ensured that they popped off on impact and shattered on the ground. I'd attach a photo, but the photo attachment tool doesn't seem to exist this morning ---??

Thanks to Spotter for a little constructive advice on attaching photos (log out and back in). Here is a picture of a fired 3.25-inch target rocket. Not much to look at, but it is what it is.

3,25-inch Target Rocket.jpg