What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help With Another 20mm I.D Please

Darren

I have a second interesting 20mm round here, No headstamp on this one but projectile is stamped:

4 4

I cannot remove this projectile as it is well in there, bit of a shame as i would like to see if there ere any more stampings on the base of it.

Any info on this round would be great.

Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• done (9).jpg
    done (9).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 38
  • done (10).jpg
    done (10).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 41
  • done (11).jpg
    done (11).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi darren
Looks like 20mm Hispano to me.
Looks like an AP projectile but without seeing base as to whether base fuzed ot not hard to be more definitive.
Interesting that there is no HS or primer??

In addition it doesn`t look as though it has ever had a primer fitted as the annulus circumference would be sunken (yours appears raised) where the primer is crimped in.
Are those marks around the rim of the head from an extractor?

In addition it doesn`t look as though it has ever had a primer fitted as the annulus circumference would be sunken (yours appears raised) where the primer is crimped in.
Are those marks around the rim of the head from an extractor?

Ive no idea about the marks around the rim, but there is definatly a little damage there. i will take some photos of that area and post.

Cheers,
Darren

More photos...

Attachments

• 001 (1745 x 2407).jpg
    001 (1745 x 2407).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 002 (1935 x 1545).jpg
    002 (1935 x 1545).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 003 (1792 x 1770).jpg
    003 (1792 x 1770).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 20
I had let some WD40 soak in around the projectile rim to loosen up the projectile, it now twists/turns but i cannot remove it, i do not think that it has ever been out of this case Before?

Cheers,
Darren

look to me like Yu made M60 AP-T or API-T round for 20mm M55 (hispano) cannon. was any markings on round? maybe schematics will help...

Attachments

• 20mm.jpg
    20mm.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi Darren
Those do not look like extraction marks to me - more like someone has used the rim to try & pry/lever something?!
Go with al about the projectile. Probably not worth risking damaging the case neck to get it out though if it is in that well!!
Run the neck under realy hot water it might jus expand enough to pull as the brass will heat up quicker than the steel.
If that doesn`t shift it then the crimping is sound & with the lack of primer or evidence of one being having been fitted this maybe a training round?

Looked at 1st pics again.
Crimps look too good & original I think although it is an AP proj it was intended as a drill or training aid

Looked at 1st pics again.
Crimps look too good & original I think although it is an AP proj it was intended as a drill or training aid

I will not force the projectile too much but may well try the hot water method, if it will not come out then i shall just leave it be. As you suggest i also think that it is factory fitted/crimped in place.

Would it be common for a drill/training round to have no headstamp?

Cheers,
Darren