What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with shell

vinnyw

Hello Gents
I need some help identifying this shell ( sorry I don,t have a metric rule ),it is 23 1/4" tall and necks down to 3",there is not a mark on it.The primer is gone,it was pressed in.I think its a WW1 3" flake brass for the U.S. m 1917.But there is no markings.It looks like it was in the bottom of a large pile.Maybe somebody with more smarts can tell me what it is.Thank you to all in advance.
Vinny :tinysmile_shutup_t:

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
3" 50 cal case ?

Looks very much like a 3" inch 50 calibre shell to me.

See pics

Attachments

• 3 in 50 cal case.jpg
    3 in 50 cal case.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3INCH BASE.jpg
    3INCH BASE.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 41
Chris,

Your casing isn't a 3" 50 cal Navy. It is a 3" MKII M2 Army antiaircraft case or M10 Tank destroyer case. The 3"50 cal has a more rounded shoulder. Your case also has a double row of staking marks around the neck for specific HE projectiles with double crimping grooves. THe Navy only uses one groove on 3" 50 cal. The photo attached is a MK IX HE projo that would be appropriate for your case, but it is early War whereas its replacement the M42 would be more likely found on case with your date.

Vinny, what is the diameter of the head or your case? What does it have for crimping or staking marks around the neck?

Attachments

• MK IX Center.jpg
    MK IX Center.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I stand corrected !

Thank you Hazord for the corrective information !
So it looks like the projo I had was in fact a Naval issue item??

Attachments

• 3 inch HEShell.JPG
    3 inch HEShell.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 37
Chris,

Yes, your projo is definitely 3" 50 cal Navy. The Navy stencils everything on their projectiles. Yours is excellent, wish I had one so nice.

Sorry to bring more questionable news though, because I believe your fuze is for the Army projectiles. Does your fuze have model numbers stamped on it? Typically, the 3" 50 cal stuff didn't have delay/superquick adjustable fuzes.

Last edited:
Chris,

Your casing isn't a 3" 50 cal Navy. It is a 3" MKII M2 Army antiaircraft case or M10 Tank destroyer case. The 3"50 cal has a more rounded shoulder. Your case also has a double row of staking marks around the neck for specific HE projectiles with double crimping grooves. THe Navy only uses one groove on 3" 50 cal. The photo attached is a MK IX HE projo that would be appropriate for your case, but it is early War whereas its replacement the M42 would be more likely found on case with your date.

Vinny, what is the diameter of the head or your case? What does it have for crimping or staking marks around the neck?
Thanks for the information,I put it up next to my 3" 50,the bottoms our alike but it tapers down alot different like you said,you have an exellent eye,im posting another item I was lucky enough to get at the same auction a 8" 48.My father was a gunner in WW2,and shot the 3" 50 and bofors 4 barrol,he help close caves for the marines at ewo he said,he was in the navy.
Thanks again for your expertise.
Vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 20
Chris,

Yes, your projo is definitely 3" 50 cal Navy. The Navy stencils everything on their projectiles. Yours is excellent, wish I had one so nice.

Sorry to bring more questionable news though, because I believe your fuze is for the Army projectiles. Does your fuze have model numbers stamped on it? Typically, the 3" 50 cal stuff didn't have delay/superquick adjustable fuzes.

Hi Hazord in answer to your question the shell came with a M557 fitted to it and as you point out this would not be the correct fuze-it was how I bought the shell from a dealer who just had any fuze to hand that fitted-the fuze body screwed straight in without the Booster fitted so the thread was much smaller than 2" 12 tpi Unified thread form as per the M557 Fuze.
Whilst I did not generally collect American ammunition this was one of those nice rounds that just occassionaly come along that are too good to refuse:eek:

VinnyW nice case-monster job that one and very impressive, any chance of a look at the headstamp please?

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest Chris,its a 1944.I must need some some sleep,I said 8" didn,t I.I must be thinking of my 9".
Vinny

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 19
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
Cheers Vinnyw

Thank you VinnyW and a most interesting case that is too.
My main interest has always been in the "big boys toys" cases and projo's alike.
I have not seen one of those before.

The 6 inch 47 cal is a good case to have.
Thanks
There is a nice 240 mm on gunbroker right know about the same size,just in case somebody is looking for a medium size shell with a big bang.
enjoy
Vinny :tinysmile_shy_t: