What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID on 60mm Mortar Shell

ordnance

Premium Member
PICT1615.jpgPICT1614.jpgPICT1613.jpgPICT1612.jpgPICT1611.jpgI picked up this 60mm mortar round last weekend and haven't been able to identify it yet. Does anyone recognize the paint and markings scheme or the fuze? Country of origin? Thanks for any info.

Rick

Hey Rick.

I'm pretty sure the triangle is one of the old Chinese markings used on some of their fuzes. I've seen it before and seems like I may have one or two on some of my pieces. The tip of the fuze is a lttle different, but otherwise consistent with Chinese construction, likewise the body and markings, similar to some exports seen in SW Asia.

Jeff,

Thanks. My initial thought when I saw it was it looked Chinese. But the markings didn't look right as there weren't any Chinese characters present. It reminded me of a lot of Soviet and other ordnance intended for the export market. But I've never seen anything from China from the early 50's that was export marked. I always assumed they were too busy making munitions for themselves to make ammo for export.

The fins looked pretty American to me but the body is definitely foreign with "as cast" or forged surfaces above and below the obturation rings. No stamped markings on the body other than a small "2". The fuze body is a gutted shell so I can't give any fuze details.

The fuze looks to be a brass (vs steel) copy of the Soviet M-50. The 50 marking may be an indicator of that. Of course, it could be the manufacturing date. Just throwin' that out there, since I went to the trouble of looking it up. :)

Rick

Jeff,

Thanks. My initial thought when I saw it was it looked Chinese. But the markings didn't look right as there weren't any Chinese characters present. It reminded me of a lot of Soviet and other ordnance intended for the export market. But I've never seen anything from China from the early 50's that was export marked. I always assumed they were too busy making munitions for themselves to make ammo for export.

The fins looked pretty American to me but the body is definitely foreign with "as cast" or forged surfaces above and below the obturation rings. No stamped markings on the body other than a small "2". The fuze body is a gutted shell so I can't give any fuze details.

Slick is probably right on it being a copy, but as far as export, keep in mind - what do you do with your rusty old grenades when you get a shinier, newer one? Sell it off. Or give it to a beginner to earn some future goodwill.

Seems like there might be a document or two that shows the triangle in the FSTC pubs, if I get a chance I'll look tonight when I get home.

Had guests tonight so not much time to look, but here is what I pulled up in a rush. Haven't looked closely to see if it matches yours completely, but the triangle was the main thing I was looking for. If you need more let me know and I'll see if I have time this weekend. This is from a 1973 pub.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg

Thanks Jeff. That fuze data is spot-on for my brass 60mm mortar fuze, so at least that much is Chinese in origin. I'm sure the paint and markings are original from some arsenal source but I'm wondering if, as you suggested, it might have been remarked for export sales when newer ammo was issued. And thanks to Slick for looking too. I also thought it looked like the fuze from the Russian 50mm rounds, which I'm sure the Chinese fuze was derived from.

It's just odd that the standard 60mm HE rounds from the Vietnam period of the 1960s and 70s didn't look any more modern than this. And though they were actually being exported to the Vietnamese, all I've seen still retained the standard Chinese language markings.

I'm sure there's still a missing component to the story on this one, but we might not ever get the whole explaination.

Last edited:
Rick,

Can the fuze be removed? We have an EOD publication on this fuze, but the pub is full of line drawings and I would like to replace them with real ones if possible. Plus I would also be interested in seeing the booster cup. According to the document by US-SUBS it should be a rounded booster. The gun broker fuze extends way down into the projectile, I am wondering what the cutway fuze on gun broker is now.

Joe

Found this in the FOMCAT Vol. 6, FUZES (forgot I had this). Same drawing as Jeff's, a little different text.

Rick

Fuze, China PD Universal mortar.jpg Fuze, China PD Universal mortar 001.jpg

Thanks to all for the additional info.

Rick.......Wow, I suck at keeping an eye on Gunbroker lately. Thanks for the link. If I had seen that auction earlier, I could have skipped starting the thread as the cutaway 60mm round is almost identical except for some minor fuze and paint details.

Joe.....Wish I could help but all the fuze internals and booster cup are missing. Sorry.

Rick