What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need information on late WWII 25 pdr field gun cartridge and shell containers.

Hello all.

I'm interested in obtaining clear pictures and measurements of the steel and/or wood containers used for the 25 pdr field gun. Interior pictures with the shells and cartridges would be awesome. In colour?
Also WWII stenciling for the various types. ie AP, Smoke, HE, Leaflets. Others?

After browsing the site I'm amazed at the variety and collections. Who would have known.

I model in 1/6 scale and would like to compliment my two 25 pdrs with accurate ammunition and containers.

Thanks for any assistance.

Geoff

SAG005.jpg

SAG006.jpg

SAG009.jpg

SAG010.jpg

Thank you.

P. 59 How were the shells colour coded? The interior pic and holder(?) for the rounds is priceless. The way the holder is held inside the box is a nice insight. Was the fuse on the shell during shipment?

P.60 Any idea how the AP shots were held in place?

C. 206 Were the charges shipped inside the brass casings? What was the order of the bags if they were?

Geoff

All questions I'm looking for answers to myself. I hope to reconstruct the contents for my reenactment display.

Btw, for a post Normandy model the boxes should be Service Brown, not green.

Hope the attached are of help Johnny Canuck.

'Cartridges are issued in boxes containing eight; shell are issued in boxes containing four, which are either plugged or fuzed'.

'Q.F. 25-pr. projectiles are issued to the service in rectangular shaped boxes, which are of steel and designed to contain 4 H.E. stremline, plugged or fuzed shell, in packing clamp No. 1; or 4 smoke, B.E. plugged or fuzed shell, in packing clamp No. 2.
The No. 1 clamp consists principally of a steel top and bottom diaphragm, spindle and a distance piece of gas tubing.
The No. 2 clamp is similar to the No.1, differing principally in the omission of the spring, the top diaphragm being fitted with a steel locating plate, and in having a larger distance piece made of steel.
The box designed to carry A.P. shot is similar to the above except that it is provided with No. 8 containers instead of clamps'.

Source; Handbook O.Q.F. 25-PR. 1940.

Attachments

• BOCN25PrProj.jpg
    BOCN25PrProj.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
  • BOCN25PrProj2.jpg
    BOCN25PrProj2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hello Geoff,

for the colour of the 25 pdr steel container perhaps you could find a little help on "Off topics section/Members pets", page 4.

I don't know if it's the late version, but the container is in real old colors.

Ciao,

Andrew

Ps: great job for the models

Packaging AP-T 25-PR.
P.71 (wood), containers 4 x C.8 / C.73 / C.81
P.60 (steel), containers 4 x C.46 / C.73 / C.81

Hope thats helpfull LCplCombat.

I'd imagine that most if not all 25 pounders in north west Europe 44-45 would have been fitted with muzzle brakes?

Quatermass.

Packaging AP-T 25-PR.
P.71 (wood), containers 4 x C.8 / C.73 / C.81
P.60 (steel), containers 4 x C.46 / C.73 / C.81

Hope thats helpfull LCplCombat.

I'd imagine that most if not all 25 pounders in north west Europe 44-45 would have been fitted with muzzle brakes?

Quatermass.

Thank you again for all your assistance, now I'd better get to work.

The 25 pdr was built by one of the local club members, he copied the Tamiya 1/35 model and it is make of Pink Styrofoam.. Chris never does research and at a show a former gunner explained that the counter weight was attached when the muzzle brake was added. The second gun was built with one and one was made for the first 25 pdr.

Geoff