What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help with a flea market find

big_mike

I am a novice to collecting ordnance and I stumbled over this piece at a flea market. I have no idea if this is a genuine munition, exploding harpoon, a folk art fake, or something else entirely. Hoping someone here might be able to set me on the right track. Thanks in advance.
2013-12-07_16-03-10_836.jpg2013-12-07_16-01-59_126.jpg

Hi could we see a photo of the end of it please, its a little obscured by the tape measure.
Thanks.
Dave.

sorry for obscuring the end piece. I have attached a photo it had a screw cap end with the cavity inside smells of older powder/explosive. Hope this will help in making an identification.2013-12-11_16-29-54_250.jpg

That does look very similar, in better shape of course. I knew it was unlikely any sort of military ordnance but I find this piece and its history fascinating anyway. I think it's a pretty cool trinket and/or piece of history depending on perspective. Thanks for all the assistance and the additional reference material.

Definitely a "cool trinket". I suspect the majority of folks onboard here would love to have this piece in their collection.
I know I would.

I'm glad to have it in my fledgling collection as well. I didn't mean trinket in a derogatory manner, it's just a term I use for flea market finds which are outside my normal scope. Now, thanks in large part to the resources on this site, I am familiar with explosive harpoons and their grim history.