What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeedAdvice:Importing Large Projectile from Australia to US-

JCB99

I am looking for advice about the possibility of importing/shipping a very large and very heavy INERT artillery projectile from Australia to the USA. The weight of the Projo alone is 50 KG plus the weight of the crate (15 kg?). The total weight would be somewhere around 65 KG (120+ pounds). The projo has no adapter ring so it is easy for anyone to take a peak inside to see it is empty. I am hoping somebody out there in the US or Australia has experience sending larger ordnance throught the mail (UPS, FedEX, ??) The seller is a non collector who knows nothing about postal regulations or customs issues. I am also short on exerience trying this kind of thing. Everything has changed after 9/11. With the political climate like it is and concerns about shipping ordnance overseas, I am not sure if this is possible these days. Customs issues? Can somebody out there offer me some advice?? Obviously, it has to be sent surface, by ship. Should I even try this??

befuddled......
Jim, JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo(dot)com

A large Inert Japanese projectile sits in a backyard in Australia.................I wish it was sitting in my living room.........

USA

Last edited:
Jim

Just for sharts and giggles, I ran your package thru FEDEX's online shipping quote machine.
Their Int'l Priority rate = $1526.99. (Originating in Perth, W.Aus.)
Int'l ECONOMY = $1287.83. (")
Have only done EU and UK shipping myself. Tried to send a lot of 6 books to Australia. Shipping cost was prohibitive. Probably one of the reasons that Jap shell is still in Australia.
Seriously tho, please makes notes of your findings and post them here. I've been very lucky to date with all of my int'l shipments. Had a couple of them opened and looked at, but passed with flying colors. Recipients were taxed in some way, generally. I have yet to pay any customs fees on my end. A 20# parcel goes for a little over $50. All things considered, that ain't bad.

Rick

Jim

Having thought about your plight a little more, and to actually answer your question, I recommend going through a SHIPPING CONSOLIDATOR. They will handle all the transfers from truck to ship to truck, and hopefully get it to your door in a somewhat timely manner. Have no clue what their charges are, but realistically, there is no way to do this yourself.
Crating is another expense, unless the seller is capable and willing. Gonna be a serious crate.

Rick

Hi Jim,
If you can't move it I'm more than willing to give it a good home.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I've been having a hard time trying to find carriers that will move inert ordnance both Domesticly and Internationally. Nobody wants to handle inert ordnance. They are just shear paranoid.

DGM have offered to help me though. Here is their web address:
www.dgm-aus.com.au

They will ship by sea as well.

Hope this is of help to you.
Good luck,
Cheers,:cheers:
Robert

Last edited:
Jim,
realize again, that if you do not Form 6 it with ATF you take a chance of losing it when Customs checks it. US law prohibits the importation of military materials, full stop. You can ask for special permission and exception (Form 6) through ATF, but is is not often given for inert ordnance above .50 cal. You can pass it through as something else, but if it is caught it may be seized, if you openly lied you may be fined or worse.

I'm not saying don't do it, but understand the situation before you make your decision. If you decide to give it a shot keep in mind that your chances vary greatly with the port it comes in at, the shippers and how well they work with you, what else is going on at the time that may heighten security, and the Customs people that receive it.

I've been informed that nearly 80% of the cargo coming in now is routinely X-rayed. Things are quickly flagged and pushed asided for "detailed inspection" which is then done by hand. At that point it depends on the agents, their background and knowledge, and what they are looking for specifically, if anything.

Buenos suerte. JO

Hi Jim, I live in the US and had a collector ship me a German 75mm projectile and a 90mm WW1 German projectile in the same box from Germany. Now this box weighed in at a lot. If memory serves it came DHL and there were no problems getting it in the country. It was very special to me because these were the first German WW1 shells I owned larger than 37mm. Until this transpired I thought it would be an impossible feat but it worked. I can't tell you what it cost him to ship it in because it was a gift to me and I did not ask. Of course even though it was a gift I did reciprocate but sent a much lighter item!!! Dano

Not going to happen

After receiving a few messages and emails, I've decided not (Never) to attempt this. I appreciate all the advice. thank you all.

Jim

Jim,
realize again, that if you do not Form 6 it with ATF you take a chance of losing it when Customs checks it. US law prohibits the importation of military materials, full stop. You can ask for special permission and exception (Form 6) through ATF, but is is not often given for inert ordnance above .50 cal. You can pass it through as something else, but if it is caught it may be seized, if you openly lied you may be fined or worse.

I'm not saying don't do it, but understand the situation before you make your decision. If you decide to give it a shot keep in mind that your chances vary greatly with the port it comes in at, the shippers and how well they work with you, what else is going on at the time that may heighten security, and the Customs people that receive it.

I've been informed that nearly 80% of the cargo coming in now is routinely X-rayed. Things are quickly flagged and pushed asided for "detailed inspection" which is then done by hand. At that point it depends on the agents, their background and knowledge, and what they are looking for specifically, if anything.

Buenos suerte. JO

In reference to the above, here is a copy of the legalese regarding the munitions import list (for import into the US) http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr447.21.pdf