What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW 50 Cal for the British Forces

EagleEyes

I've just picked up 2 new 12.7x99mm BMG rounds produced by CBC for the British Forces.

12.7x99mm BALL - CBC 08 (+) L8A1
12.7x99mm TRACER - CBC 08 (+) L9A1

Does anybody know more information including specifications of these two rounds: usage, range, MV, BC etc etc

Cheers
Andy Dale

Attachments

• Ammo_Bunker_12.7x99mm_CBC_08_NATO_L8A1_BALL_L9A1_TRACER_01a.jpg
    Ammo_Bunker_12.7x99mm_CBC_08_NATO_L8A1_BALL_L9A1_TRACER_01a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Ammo_Bunker_12.7x99mm_CBC_08_NATO_L8A1_BALL_L9A1_TRACER_02.jpg
    Ammo_Bunker_12.7x99mm_CBC_08_NATO_L8A1_BALL_L9A1_TRACER_02.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
.50 cbc

These have been around for a little while now. Usage is presumably in the normal .50 Browning M2 plus maybe in a few Barretts, and I should think that the CBC rounds conform to the normal US types, M33 ball and M19(?) tracer. In any case, they have the NATO standardisation stamp so will comply with the appropriate STANAG.

Regards,
TonyE

Hi Andy,
CBC = Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos,Avenida Industrial No3330,Santo Andre,Estadode,Sao Paulo,Brasil.
I'd hate to be a post man in Brasil!!
Cheers
Tony

Hi Andy,
CBC = Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos,Avenida Industrial No3330,Santo Andre,Estadode,Sao Paulo,Brasil.
I'd hate to be a post man in Brasil!!
Cheers
Tony

Doesn't the german company MEN now own CBC?
Do we know where this ammunition is being produced?
Why are the British Military using CBC ammunition?

Cbc

It is my understanding the CBC now own MEN. Certainly the CBC website states that they are a wholly owned Brazillian company.

The reason we are using CBC ammunition is simple. There is no UK production of .50 cal ammo, and even if there was, there is no guarantee that they would submit the lowest tender for the contract.

The CBC ammo in British service is specially headstamped for the UK, which I believe is now a requirement for manufacturers submitting tenders. Until recently, the MOD seemed to have dropped any requirement for contract ammo to be headstamped to British standards, with only the box bearing British nomenclature. That has now changed I understand.

I think the ammo is probably being produced in Brazil, as I don't think MEN has a .50 cal. production line.

Regards
TonyE

What a coincidence. Only yesterday we were finding H.84 boxes at work marked as CBC made in 2009. They were finished with a powder coating instead of the usual paint and I volunteered to discover who CBC was. Someone suggested they were a South African company. Are we getting other types of SAA from CBC?

Cbc

We are also buying 7.62mm Ball (L46A1) and Blank, and I think 5.56mm ball.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
have you come across CBC 5.56mm manufactured for the U.K.? The CBC 7.62mm blanks seem now to be drying up and being supplied by RG again,the same slowly for ball,still using the swiss L21A1 5.56 ball,but again the blanks have reverted to RG L18A1,still have not come across a L numbered swiss blank,shopping around for the best price me thinks! DAG manufacture .50 cal
Cheers
Tony

I'm finding that the British Forces are currently using Radway Green L43A1 7.62x51mm and L18A1 5.56x45mm Blanks, some CBC 7.62x51mm Blanks but no Swiss 7.62x51mm or 5.56x45mm Blanks as yet.