What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Finds

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I was very fortunate yesterday, picked up some very nice pieces. First was an inner-body assembly for the BLU-97 combined effects munition. I already have several examples of the full up munition, it is nice to get some internals for display. After that was one of the nicest BLU-24B/B submunitions that I've ever seen, with the plastic skin intact and flawless. finally (for this thread, see projectiles) an early M83 Butterfly Bomb with unusual markings. This one came with no fuze, but is marked with T11 SOSS. I do not know what the SOSS stands for, and I have never seen a T11 marked munition. Prior to this the only T numbered submunition I had personally observed was a museum piece marked T45. It seems that there was one posted here at one time, but I have not yet found it.

In addition the body of the submunition is marked as Lot 5, while the wings are marked as Lot 6. A very nice piece that I was very happy to get.

DSCN2497.jpg DSCN2496.jpg DSCN2501.jpg

Congratulations Jeff, a very nice example of the American butterfly bomb with T-11 markings !! Very nice find.

regards Kev

Nice find Jeff. Always nice to see some good markings on these.
Dave.

Here are a couple of pictures of markings from my own collection.
The first shows a T-11 mark with REX beneath it.

The second photo shows the markings on another wing set this one marked M83, but of note is the LOT 1 -1 marking beneath the M83 stamp (would I be correct in thinking that this indicates the very first lot and batch of M83??)

regards Kev

HPIM7769.jpgHPIM7818.jpg

And one of mine too. The body is marked T11.
Dave.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
This is the one that I had seen with the T45 markings -

M83 - T45 Sub 1.jpg

This is the one that I had seen with the T45 markings -

View attachment 60746

Jeff, do you know why this has the designation T-45, I have only ever known them to be known as T-11 or the designated number M83.

Very interesting thanks for posting.( The T-11 wings I have came from a bocn member, so are possibly the ones you remember the pictures of.)

regards Kev

No idea, the wings are marked as well, M83 on one, T45 on the other.

Jeff, Here is a picture of the Zirconium wafer that sits right below the fuze and around the booster of the BLU-97. This is what give the pyrophoric effect for the munition. Beside it are pieces of the frag from one. The entire assembly is as nasty as can be from an EOD standpoint with ultra sensitive fuzing, shape charge effect, razor sharp frag with a large kill zone and the Zirconium that burns at 4000 degrees F. Thanks for the pix. Cheers, Bruce.

Attachments

• Photo194.jpg
    Photo194.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 43