What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Funky 40mm L/60 APC with Weird Drivng Band Marks, and a Few Others...

pzjgr

I finally got a chance to work on some new ordnance I've had sitting around, plus picked up a new 40mm APC-T with an interesting driving band...

The 37mm is just a real nice M51 APC that I finally got a chance to restore...

The one 40mm is another that needed re=painting, I painted it up as a British example, as I already have a couple of various US HE's...

Finally is a new 40mm APC-T I picked up, again sans paint, so I painted it as a Navy APC-T...but the driving band is interesting...it is stamped (an only stamped) VJ 8-14-1945, which is VJ Day...there are no other markings, and the DB doesn't appear to have been scrubbed and re-stamped...maybe it was made up as a souvenir in the factory on, or soon after VJ Day? The case is a Navy case, 7-45 dated...

Anyway, been so busy at work doing a lot of traveling, so haven't had much time to play with (or find more) ordnance, glad I finally got these done...

Attachments

• DSC05216.JPG
    DSC05216.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05217.JPG
    DSC05217.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05364.JPG
    DSC05364.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05365.JPG
    DSC05365.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05367.JPG
    DSC05367.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 45
Always good to spiff things up a bit. One observation, your shade of yellow is a bit bright for UK colors of that period.

There are some original paint photos of a round or two here on BOCN, with the green XXXXXX around the ogive.

Yeah, I picked up a different brand of paint, and noticed after painting it was a little too "lemony" yellow....I am going back to good old Testors gloss yellow which is a bit darker...the green is a bit dark too, so I probably will repaint it again eventually.

I did find the painting and stencilling details looking up Brit 40mm stuff here, so as always this forum is very helpful in multiple ways. I saw that some used a red band for the tracer element, as opposed to the red "x's", and the band was easier to paint, but if I repaint, I might switch to the band of x's...I'll just have to use a lot of peel and stick x's for masking!

Has anyone ever seen markings like on the APC-T projectile? Like I said, that was somewhat intriguing to me....