What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New grenades

paul the grenade

Would you believe it! i save my money up for beltring and a few days before the show i get offered 2 mint grenades that i just can't refuse.
one is a factory mint No3 Mk1 only missing its rod. everything else is there as good as the day they were made. The grenade body seems to have a black coating of some sort and the top and base piece are both stamped GTL (Gestetner Ltd London)
The other is a super rare british GP grenade. These were simple unmarked tin boxes. They were designed by Experimental Station 6 for the SOE/OSS in 1944 as a grenade/demolition charge and could be fitted with the 247 fuze or time pencils. this one has its original factory label marked "GENERAL PURPOSE GRENADE (ALLWAYS OR DEMOLITION) EXPERIMENTAL STATION" and what looks like the date at the bottom 13.4.43 which suggests this was a prototype sent to SOE by H.C & Sons for evaluation. (i hope so!!!):tinysmile_grin_t:
looks like i'll just be browsing at beltring on wednesday. i might just be able to afford a cup of tea.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• No3 and GP.jpg
    No3 and GP.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 100
  • No 3 stripped.jpg
    No 3 stripped.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 94
  • No3 markings.jpg
    No3 markings.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 77
  • GP stripped.jpg
    GP stripped.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 97
  • GP base.jpg
    GP base.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
  • GP label.jpg
    GP label.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Page3GP.jpg
    Page3GP.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Page3GPbase.jpg
    Page3GPbase.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Great grenades Paul,

you could always sell me the No 3 at Beltring and you would then have a little more spare cash!!!

Andy

Nice items Paul ! I really like the provenance with the GP grenade, makes all the difference. Try not to buy all the British grenades at Beltring on Wed, I can't get there 'till Fri myself ! Tony.

Paul, awesome find that Exp. Grenade. Very cool. Congratulations! Have you received my little parcel?

Last edited:
hey Paul, was that Rays GP grenade?? He had one with a tag like that. Maybe its come around again after he sold his stuff off.

GP Grenade

Paul,

I thought I would add a couple of historical facts. The GP Grenade was designed for Operation BRADDOCK (MOON was its earlier code name)and, although it is a matter of no consequence, it was designed in August 1942 at The Frythe (Station IX) rather than Aston House (ES6 or Station XII) but ES6 did make the prototypes. BRADDOCK was a scheme to drop Liberator Pistols, Charges and Incendiaries into Germany for use by disaffected German nationals etc., but only a minor operation involving Incendiaries took place. The GP Grenade was recognised as having merit as a demolition charge for 'standard' SOE issue so although BRADDOCK was effectively aborted the production did not go to waste. The example that you have is the first pattern made by Hudson Scott & Co. In July 1943 a version modified to overcome some defects and to facilitate production was designed and manufactured in large numbers but not by HS&Co. In service they would have been painted black.

[Reference HS7 Files in TNA/PRO]

[... said:
The other is a super rare british GP grenade. These were simple unmarked tin boxes. They were designed by Experimental Station 6 for the SOE/OSS in 1944 as a grenade/demolition charge and could be fitted with the 247 fuze or time pencils. this one has its original factory label marked "GENERAL PURPOSE GRENADE (ALLWAYS OR DEMOLITION) EXPERIMENTAL STATION" and what looks like the date at the bottom 13.4.43 which suggests this was a prototype sent to SOE by H.C & Sons for evaluation. (i hope so!!!)[...]paul.