What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW Import SD10

Rockteer

Been a naughty boy recently with a serious lack of posts, so here is the first of 3. I have recently imported from Germany 3 inert aerial bombs for the museum. The first is the smallest, an SD10. Pics show original red oxide finish, nice stamps on body and fins. Really nice Luftwaffe stamp on tail fin (complete with swastika).

This is my first SD10 so am pretty chuffed with it.

I may try to source a better fuze head as this one is a bit pitted.

Can anyone clarify what theatres these were used in? am I right in saying they were not used in the ETO?

Over to panel of experts.

Dan

DSCF9587.jpgDSCF9585.jpgDSCF9584.jpg

great item Dan,

I believe that these were dropped in limited numbers on the UK too. Unfortunately I dont have any information on any specific raids, however someone may know better than me.

Some great markings on there too....well done in finding that one!!

regards Kev

If there is a UK connection even if only limited use over here that would be very interesting. Didn't know they were used in Holland, so I have learned something there. I always kind of assumed they would be mainly Russian front??

Would the red oxide denote something? or is the colour meaningless?

Anyone got a good condition fuze for the SD10?

Good !
First thing, we find regularly these SD10 in Belgium.
Second, the red marking have as signification that it is a fragmentation bomb. You can find red stripes on the tail of bigger SD bombs (50-70).

Yoda

Great that has answered that one. Does anyone know how many different colours or markings these came in? if so what is the rarest?

It is not SD10 but SC10(or SC10dw).Detonator model tells it,if that detonator is original for this specimen.

Detonator for SC10 is AZC10 and SD10 uses eA.Z 66 A

Show us picture of mouth thread section and i can tell you exact model.

Last edited:
Hi, here are some pics of the Fuze (AZC10) and the screw thread on the bomb casing.

Thanks and look forward to your findings.

DSCF9605.jpg

Tanks Jiipee, so does the SC mean it is thin cased bomb, the SD being a thick walled bomb?? also which is the harder of the two to find?

Tanks Jiipee, so does the SC mean it is thin cased bomb, the SD being a thick walled bomb?? also which is the harder of the two to find?

SC10 should have wall of 15mm.Material is either cast steel or pressed steel(both versions existed).
SC10dw(Dickwand) was special version which walls was made from metal pellets.It spread more shrapnels.
SC10t was model for low altitude dropping.Without t letter model was for high altitude dropping.Tailwing type made the difference.

If i read manual right,there is not much other differences between SC10 and SD10 than the detonator and that SD10s were made from 5 types of material.

SC = Sprengbombe Cilindrisch (General purpose bomb)
SD = Sprengbombe Dikwandig (Shrapnel bombs for antipersonel use)

Last edited:
Thank you Jiipee for your detailed reply, it is great having people on here who obviously know their stuff. Thanks again.