What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member with 75mm

Japes

Hello all,

I am a new member posting for the first time. My interest are WW 2 Canadian, both MVs and more recently ordnance. I have obtained a few interesting bits that I thought might be of interest to the members of this forum as well as ask for some help. The first is a display round from the Canadian Lamp Company (CL/C). They produced helmets as well as brass for the 25 lber, 75mm and 6 lber.

Can anyone explain the markings on this round? I am also in search of an appropriate fuse for this round.

The next one is projectile fired by an old friend into a dirt mound and then dug out. He used it as a door stop for the next 60+ years and now I have it. I am restoring it and plan on displaying it with a CL/C brass case. You'll notice the Canadian C broad arrow stamped on the base. Question on this one, what would the appropriate marking be?

Thanks is advance.

Japes
Attached Thumbnails

Hi Japes and welcome.

Nice items to start with and if you look around in the "identification" section you will find the "spec sheet" for your 75mm !

As for the HE 75mm body colour indicates filling=High Explosive with the green band denoting what type of filling it is and the "CE" is for exploder "Composition Exploding" and the red crosses denote a "tropical filling" for use in certain theatres of war.
The small letters are inspectors marks.

Sure someone will give you precise detail on the markings.

Your fired AP-T projo is most likely the M72 AP-T projo for the 75mm tank gun used in the Shermans and the belly of some B-25 bombers. During WWII there was a lot of across-the-border ammo manufacturing between Canada and the U.S. I'm not sure about how the 75mm Gun was used by Canadians and Britain.

As you can see in the datasheet, it would be painted black with white lettering as below:

75G
SHOT AP M72
WITH TRACER​

John

Attachments

• 75mm M72 AP-T.jpg
    75mm M72 AP-T.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 75mm M72 AP-T Datasheet.jpg
    75mm M72 AP-T Datasheet.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 32
Shot some photos of an M 72 AP-T and a UK 75mm AP. As you can see, the U.S. M72 has a crimping groove under the rotating band and a tracer cavity and is dated 1942. The UK projo is a repaint, and has a red band for a tracer, but no tracer cavity and no crimping groove.

During WWII the U.S. Stamped the projo ID on a number of their projo bands, instead of on the projo body. With the 75mm the band had no grooves so it provided a softer flat surface to stamp and therefore the tooling was cheaper. Unfortunately it doesn't help to ID a fired projo.

John

Attachments

• 75mm Shots.jpg
    75mm Shots.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 75mm Shots bases.jpg
    75mm Shots bases.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 75mm M72 Band.jpg
    75mm M72 Band.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 37
Hi,

The first one is a shell fixed HE MK I , adapted for fuze ,
m46 and m 47. I have never seen one with the british,
color and markings.

Welcome

Welcome Japes, nice shells. You've picked a great hobby and have came to the right place to add some method to the utter madness. Cheers..Dano